Eyes on Fire

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hawker, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Roscoe

Roscoe

These are the type used by air traffic controllers, and are supposed to be excellent if you need to sit for extended periods (which about sums us up as a group I guess ;-) )

#41     Sep 18, 2003
  2. size

size

With this in mind, it might also be helpful to set the color temperature to a warm setting, thus eliminating the harsh brighter whites.

#42     Sep 18, 2003
  3. ramora

ramora

The next 'ergo' purchase for me will be a 'multi-level' table that I saw at the BackStore a few months ago.

The very heavy table is strong enough for several heavy monitors but can move easily up and down on strong springs so that it can be set very low and I can sit (or recline) on the floor. The table surface can be moved to normal chair height, and it can be moved so that I can trade standing. Very, very, nice. Throughout the day I could change my position again and again.

Nice!

ramora

#43     Sep 19, 2003
  4. This Thread has a lot of good info on it.My Eyes have been taking
    a serious beaten lately staring at CRT Monitors for hours on end.
    Its got to the stage were I go to bed with my Eyes on Fire and wake up with them still on Fire.After reading this thread I thought Enoughs Enough I just ordered the New Dell 1901 TFT'S.

#44     Sep 22, 2003
  5. I have two 19" CRT's and a 17" LCD by NEC right in the middle running via DVI cable to a DVI port.

One of the key things that I have come upon on this thread is to LOWER THE RESOLUTION.

I have also discovered the Windows feature called CLEAN TYPE which has also helped my eyes as well.

:)

#45     Sep 22, 2003
  6. Throughout the day I could change my position again and again

:) in more ways than one

Traders have a unique language......

Michael B.

#46     Sep 22, 2003
  7. Hawker,

Switching to LCD monitors is not the answer (although it would cool things off). High end CRTs have a better resolution than the best LCD monitors. When I started trading I was using one Dell 19” 991 curved screen CRT monitor. My eyes would get blurry and hurt after a few hours of trading. Even worse it was cumulative throughout the week so that by Friday I couldn’t see the screen and couldn’t drive. Then I switched to two 21” Sony Multiscan E540s and I don’t get eyestrain even though I day trade forex 15 hours a day. Flat screens help a lot but even more important is the dot size. Most CRT monitors are .25 and some are higher than this. Get a monitor that is .24 or better; it makes all the difference! Also refresh rates count, the higher the better; make sure that you can run at least 85 Hertz at 1600 X 1200. Adjust the contrast to as high as you can stand (at least 85 out of 100). Last, enlarge the type on your charts if you can. I have my quote window in something like 60 pt. When I used TradeStation I was also able to change the prices and times on my charts from 8 pt to 12 or 14 point. If you go with multiple monitors to make more space so that things can be bigger (and so you can see more stuff), I recommend Matrox video cards. I tried it with ATI chip boards and it was a nightmare. For 2 CRT monitors the G450 PCI video card at $109 will give you incredible clarity and no hassles.

Hope this helps!

#47     Sep 24, 2003
  8. if this is true, why are people buying LCD monitors? i don't have an LCD monitor, so i don't know. what's so great about them?

i've been using sony trinitrons and i like them. what does an LCD monitor have that my monitor doesn't, besides taking up less space and being lighter???

#48     Sep 24, 2003
  9. They also run cooler. Other than that most retail computer places don’t carry top line CRTs but they do carry the top of the line LCDs. In San Diego (where I live) only CompUSA (a terrible store) has near top of the line CRTs (not Fry’s, Best Buy, or Circuit city). If you go and look at top of the line CRTs next to the best LCDs you can see that the LCD pixels are larger. Also CRT monitors are capable of a higher resolution than LCDs.

#49     Sep 24, 2003
  10. My eyes kill me when I scroll the screen. I notice when I'm doing alot of research that includes scrolling and reading alot of text. Looking at charts seems not to bother me.

#50     Sep 25, 2003