Eyes on Fire

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hawker, Sep 15, 2003.

1. ramora

ramora

A few years ago at a startup a co-worker used a lava lamp next to the monitor to reduce eyestrain. He said it helped to focus his eyes on something other than the computer screen from time to time throughout the day.

I have a lava lamp in the computer room and I think it helps.

Just a suggestion....

ramora

#11     Sep 16, 2003
  2. Hawker

Hawker

Somebody else with suggestions, recommendations or advice ?

#12     Sep 16, 2003
  3. Catoosa

Catoosa

I sit in front of 8 CRT monitors all day (can not afford the cost of 8 LCD monitors). This caused my eyes to become sensitive to whatever the monitors give off. I can sit in front of the monitors for ten minutes and my eyes will be in real pain (this is more than eye strain in my case). But about four years ago I found the answer to my eye problems. I tries wearing ray-ban sunglasses when using the monitors and it completely eliminated my eye problems. It was a cheap solution. It might be worth a try for you.

Catoosa

#13     Sep 16, 2003
  4. Spanky

Spanky

:cool:

#14     Sep 16, 2003
  5. Hawker

Hawker

Thx .
    BTW once in a while I also wear some shades and they help. And you're right about the cost of replace all the CRTs. My ideal set up is five , probably start with 2 and make it progressively.
    Best.

#15     Sep 16, 2003
  6. I switched to LCDs. The best money I've spent on myself in a long time.

I have one DVI and one analog. Both are good, but the DVI is a tiny bit crisper, so I'd recommend getting DVI LCDs.

#16     Sep 16, 2003
  7. NKNY

NKNY

Do yourself a big favor and get LCD's quickly...

I went from 5 CRT's to 5 LCD's and finally got relief from the eyestrain and the heat.... That was my only concern as well.

And yes I had all the glare- radiation covers ....They reduced the strain somewhat but ultimately nothing worked except LCD 's.

My eyestrain was so bad that I couldn't drive at night sometimes. Thank god this is all in the past.....

Nick

#17     Sep 16, 2003
  8. This is a trick worth gold.

I do exactly the same thing. I have a red lava lamp next to my main monitor.

This isn't new, it's something a lot of programmers do. That's where I got it from...

I also have a "Ufo lamp" in my office - You know, the ones that have fiberglass threads spin around slowly and flash in all different colours? Like the Lava Lamp, they were the last cry in the 60's, but they used to costs hundreds of dollars and have now regained new popularity since they're all made in China and available for under $10 each...

By the way, it becomes more exciting when you "swirl" the lava lamp from time to time - so that the oil splits up into thousands of little bubbles and floats around for a few hours - Makes the light shine brighter (more peripheral light = better for eyes), and it's a lot more interesting than watching the same plasma-mass blob up-and-down all day.

Just my 5 cents.

Scientist.

#18     Sep 16, 2003
  9. NKNY

NKNY

Prices have come down significantly...You can get a nice 18 inch LCD in the 400 to 500 area...You really don't need anything larger because an 18 inch LCd is larger then a 18 inch crt.

Also if price is an issue like it was for me then forget the Digital stuff..You really dont need that for trading...Just get good video cards if your worried about clarity...

I couldnt afford it at the time but It was the best money I ever spent....

Nick

#19     Sep 16, 2003
  10. size

size

Someone here recommended increasing the room brightness.
    For me it has been better to keep the room lighting almost dark, so that I can turn the brightness of the crt monitors way down. It seems to help. It also eliminates all glare and the need for screens. I still prefer the crisp sharp look of crts over lcds, which is why I still use them.

#20     Sep 16, 2003