Exxon shatters profit records

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Pekelo, Feb 2, 2008.

1. here's the Q.. why would anyone defend $4/gallon gas unless they worked for big oil or benefited in some way?? why??? give me a good reason??

#11     Feb 2, 2008
  2. Exxon Mobile is the greatest company in the world. Serously 10% profit margin is within reason. They could go up to 15 to 20%

#12     Feb 2, 2008
  3. I think sir, that you dont understand the energy industry complex very well, the big Winner here is the Goverment, they make twice the profit with the big taxes.

But anyway, i'll give some benefits.
    80 millions americans have some sort of investment in the stock market via 401k, IRA, mutual funds, direct shareholders etc., etc., etc. 20/25% has money in the energy complex.
    Personally, I don't work in the energy industry, but I'm a crude oil spreader and most of my long term investment has been in the energy/metal complex owning stocks/options in Exxon, Chevron, VLO etc., etc. since 2005.

On the other hand, the crude oil price in euros is cheaper, but european consumers pay more per gallon of oil than we do in USD term , because their government taxes is susbtantially higher (in amsterdam people are paying over 6/7 usd per gallon and in uruguay in SA they are paying 12 usd per gallon).

That's what Hillary Clinton is saying she will do.

Crude Oil is a different monster than Gasoline. The Fact is that refineries make money when the crude oil is cheaper and the gasoline demand is higher (crack-spread). Right now, refineries are barely making money with the crack spread at $8 dollars per barrel.

You want cheaper energy?? Then ask your President to go nuke on china. There are 1 billion people over there who are changing their bicycles for autos. :)

#13     Feb 2, 2008
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

But here is the thingy. With prices being at record levels, aren't consumers buying LESS or the same amount of gas? If so, how come that Exxon still breaks a new record, unless they encrease profit margins???

#14     Feb 2, 2008
  5. no they don't (at least in the past 4 years). go to www.eia.doe.gov and take a look at the consumer levels in the past 4 years. Anyway, 80% of exxon business is outside the united states. To make just ONE car, you need at least 15/20 barrels of crude.

The rocketing price of crude oil is not only sharply hiking the costs of fueling the car and heating the home, but is bidding up prices on the raw materials that go into goods from produce to perfume. At the same time, the push to develop ethanol as an alternative fuel through corn and similar products is inflating the cost of feed for cows, pigs and other farm animals -and that also increases the prices consumers pay.

Converted into chemicals, the oil and gas become petrochemicals that are used to develop
    plastic
    polyester
    rubbers
    detergent
    chemical fertilizers and other pesticides.
    But it's also used in fragrances and lipstick
    in candles
    telephones
    and in pharmaceuticals and insecticides.

Farmers sow crops with tractors and use trucks to haul goods, all of which are fueled by diesel. and guess what?? the US exports are at historic levels right now.

:)

#15     Feb 2, 2008

6. There are more oil executives working in the US govt. than there are working in the US oil industry.

That should give you a hint on who controls what.

#16     Feb 2, 2008
  7. you STINK of big oil

here's is what you don't get..

NOBODY gives 2 shits if it is justified .. or not

I DONT WANT TO PAY IT, EOM

lots of shit i pay that's justified, SO THEY TELL ME, lots more that ain't.. i DO NOT CARE.. i don't WANT TO PAY $4 bucks a gallon 'mr big oil'.. deal with it

i will guarantee when enuf refuse to buy THEY WILL reduce the price..

and big oil will still be rolling in cash.. and YOU will still be here stroking us all

#17     Feb 2, 2008
  8. Seems to me it would make sense to own some of their stock.
    That would be like getting a refund for the gasoline you purchased last year.

#18     Feb 2, 2008
  9. ExxonMobil is a small fish compared to the national oil companies in Russia, Saudi etc Hell, even Petrochina is bigger than Exxon. I suggest you get some perspective, you would realize that exxon has virtually no control over the market price for Gasoline and crude oil.

#19     Feb 2, 2008
  10. whatever, I DONT CARE. I want to pay NO more than 2 BUCKS/gallon.. make it happen! :mad:

i guarantee you if the number of big oil DOUBLED it would happen.. overnight!

and what's this shit i'm hearing they;'re paying 30 cents/gallon in Iraq?

#20     Feb 2, 2008