Extremely simple strategies with > 100% annual return

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by jcl, Feb 1, 2012.

1. The so-called Currenex models have a commish...

#11     Feb 1, 2012
  2. Bob111

Bob111

9 lines of code and you done? then go for it! :p :p :p
    just don't forget to come back after few weeks and tell us how you(and you account) are doing..nah...could be lucky strike..comeback after a year.

i have probably more lines of code than Tolstoy in his war and peace and still far away from 75% win(but enough to make a living off it)

#12     Feb 1, 2012
  3. I wrote similar systems in TradeStation from 2003 - 2005. They will backtest equity curves that ascend straight up in orgasmic style. They will walk forward in account-eating fashion in reality.

If that weren't the case, we'd all be doing the same things right now... starting from ten years ago :)

#13     Feb 1, 2012
  4. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

Not all day traders are scalpers. Some of my best strategies make one or two trades per day, but always close out eod. Most (not all) of those are still overwhelmed by commission + slippage.

#14     Feb 1, 2012
  5. Agree. A level of "swing" trading can be intra-day.... where you risk 1-4 points to try to make a possible 8+.

#15     Feb 1, 2012
  6. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

Okay, I didn't realize there was free lunch available.

#16     Feb 1, 2012
  7. jcl

jcl

Yes, backtests are certainly not meaningful. But this is the equity curve of a walk forward test:

[​IMG]

This is a 10-cycle 85:15 walk-forward test. The last 10% of the curve, since October 2011, was confirmed by real trading and produced a pretty good income so far, but of course this proves nothing, it's not enough data.

The equity curve is not from the 9-lines strategy, but from a compound strategy that uses a Kelly factor matrix. I have indeed not achieved to come even close to a profitable strategy when using standard indicators, such as moving averages, RSI etc.

#17     Feb 1, 2012
  8. Don't some firms advertise "no commish", then work off of a big spread... where they make their money? Spread is still a "cost".

Seems paying a commish for the tightest spread would be money well-spent.

#18     Feb 1, 2012
  9. jcl

jcl

True. FXCM has a spread in the 2.5 PIPs range, of which 0.5 PIP is the real market spread. 2 PIPs are their profit. I use FXCM because their API is free and works relatively well. I have not looked much into other brokers so far.

#19     Feb 1, 2012
  10. jcl

jcl

From what I've heard, few people can make a living off automated trading. I certainly not, although my best strategy so far has 315% annual return. But I don't dare yet to bet much money on it - I fear some big mistake I made in the profit calculation. But so far I found none. That's also one of the reasons I post here, to hear other opinions.

#20     Feb 1, 2012