Extreme volatility = sign of top?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by a529612, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Today's swing looks extreme. It reminds me of late 1999 and early 2000. Does this look like a top to you?

2. GaryN

GaryN

Have no idea but sure liked that bearflag around 14:45.

3. Market going from +100 to -100 isnt that extreme or uncommon.

4. Interesting point, I think.

Moreover, you don't need to go as far as 1999. Actually the turmoil of past august (just one month ago) was preceded and followed through a gorgeous, disgusting spike in volatility (VIX).

Too bad... the market was behaving sooooo good lately :mad: . The next days will say...

In the worst case (Volatility revival), it will be a good opportunity for coming back to day-trading.

Regards

Peter Cantropus

5. The thing that worries me was the pace the market reversed in the afternoon. It just took a quick nose dive as if something just snapped.

6. This is 1 day! Days like this were the norm back in 1998-2002. Everyone is so geared towards low volatility that when the volatility actually gets back to normal, everyone gets scared. This is nothing folks.

7. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Completely agree. And what's up with the title of this thread? extreme volatility, huh?

What is somewhat uncommon is the outside day that formed on all the index cash and index futures daily charts.

8. volatility is dead