Extreme single-day price movements?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by heech, Oct 24, 2009.

1. heech

heech

Hi,

Does anyone have single-day price charts for the energy futures, after a major geopolitical event? I'd just like to get a very rough idea on how the markets can behave after a major, unexpected event... something on the scale of 9/11 or Katrina.

How did the crude markets react on 9/11, and how did it open on 9/12? What about the first Monday after Katrina?

2. Cheese

Cheese

You are on the wrong tack.

NG and CL, usually, on an every day basis, offer wide movements, namely one or more big moves. 'Katrinas' or '9/11s' are not necessary.

Study the gyrations with serious purpose by looking at the detailed metrics of the energy futures markets.
    :)

3. heech

heech

Hi,

I'm very familiar with the day/day movements of NG/CL. I should add that I'm, as much as can be, comfortable with them.

I can tell looking at daily bars that post-Katrina, NG opened up +15%. Post 9/11, CL opened up +10%. Both of these are not typical every day moves.

I'd like to understand how it moved intra-day after such an extreme move. The daily bars aren't useful enough.