Extraordinary Unpopular Delusions...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Arthur Deco, Jan 21, 2010.

1. The poster here:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=189077

wants to know if he should never let a profit turn into a loss. He describes his typical trading scenario. If indeed he has a system, he could find the answer by backtesting. Why, instead, does he ask ET? Does he expect the quality of the thinking of respondents who don't know his system to be better than his own?

#11     Jan 25, 2010
  2. #12     Jan 25, 2010
  3. #13     Jan 25, 2010
  4. #14     Jan 25, 2010
  5. #15     Jan 25, 2010
  6. Indeed, M. Taon, the humiliation of months or years of failure in testing of scores, if not hundreds, of seemingly good ideas makes for poor drama. It is in fact quite pathetic and disheartening. The only good drama is in finding that one idea which works, and of course no trader ever reveals that.

For my own amusement I am scanning threads to see how often references to systematic testing appear. It is an alternative to proper orthography or Daily Hottie posting as an IQ test.

#16     Jan 25, 2010
  7. nkhoi

nkhoi

your picks is so random, is there a punch line somewhere?

#17     Jan 25, 2010
  8. Nkhoi, I am waiting for a punch line myself. Provisionally, it might be:

"Traders prefer the comfort of hopeful self-delusion to the heart-breaking discipline of backtesting."

But I am not finished reading yet. The picks are random because I am only reading new or very recent posts and threads.

#18     Jan 25, 2010
  9. Out of respect I won't provide a link, but this poster is home-brewing an auto-trading environment before he even has a profitable strategy:

"So my goal is to build a framework that provides good strategies a high probability of success. Once the framework is operational I can spend months and years developing trading (strategy) expertise, and hopefully in 8-12 years I'll be an expert (and financially independent)." Cart? Horse?

#19     Jan 25, 2010
  10. You've been trying to become profitable with Jack hershey's method for 10 years now with no success.. I doubt you ever see punchlines

#20     Jan 27, 2010