"EXTENDED" unemployment benefits running out soon!!!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by S2007S, Jan 29, 2010.

1. If you're self-employed and find yourself out of work, unable to recruit customers...

YOU GET SQUADOUCHE... BUPKIS, ZILCH, NADA!

Yet, you pay MORE taxes than the formerly employed!!!

#51     Feb 3, 2010
  2. If you are self employed, find an employee leasing co (or payroll co) and sign yourself up, you lease yourself back to your own company, pay in benes, deduct the benes from your taxes and you are then eligible for unemployement.

#52     Feb 3, 2010
  3. Damn, what did you score on the Machiavellian test?

#53     Feb 3, 2010
  4. rlr4545

rlr4545

OK... About the Free Money... Here is how it works, atleast around here.

I pay to a government for 20 plus years for this "feature" that is suppose to pay me something in case of an Emergency... Such as watching the company I work for go down in flames in one week... Also during those 20 plus years I pay taxes for everything including the toilet paper to wipe my butt. I become an expert in my field ... but now, where is the field? And in the next State, or County, or City, are 1000 other "Experts" in my field competeing for the few jobs available for our field.

So I sign up for this Free Money, and although I have paid into it for 20 plus years, I can only draw max. 2. And the kicker is, it is not the amount I made, so, there I go... I start to slide... So I sign up for the "Free" Food vouchers, that in reality, if I had, would maybe offset the loss of income enough I could afford to pay my bills a little longer, and hopefully enough time to find a new job... Afterall, I paid into it for 20 plus years. But hey, I only qualify that is, IF I have lost about everthing I own, which isnt much. And at that time, I hadn't. Now ask me. As a Single mother, how THRILLED I was for this "Free" money as opposed to a job... Ask me how I felt when I had to sell my house for peanuts, and luckier than most, I broke even. Ask me how I feel when my kids need clothes and supplies for school, and I have to choose if they eat, or have a pair of shoes. Ask me how it feels that I forgo my medical needs, and prescriptions in order to have money to cover car insurance so I can keep looking for a job, and attending classes, so I can hopefully "reinvent myself" KNOWING it increases the chance my children may not have a mother in a year or two because of it... Ask me how it feels when medicaid will cover my uninsured children's medical needs, but didn't my child's funeral expense... Oh yeah... ASK ME, and MANY others who are caught up in this nightmare. You See, this FREE MONEY has cost me everything I have. And I hope to God, You never have the misfortune to have to stand in that line to ask for it ... And yes, I know you never have, or you would never have made such an insensitive comment.

#54     Feb 24, 2010
  5. Then give people a chance to work for money!! Now the Indians & the Chinese has got many of the jobs that was once here. Robots will take the jobs form them soon enough.

Increase productivity = fewer jobs. More unemployed = lower wages for all.

Those who have only their labor to offer the world work for poverty wages or have nothing at all.

#55     Feb 24, 2010
  6. rlr4545

rlr4545

AGREED!!! Exactly!!!

My Biggest Fear is that not given the chance to work to provide for my family, earn fair wage, regain financial security for retirement, will make me feel like I "Lose all Hope"...

And that it will Silently teach my children, and childre of many unemployed, That everything gained by investing, and earning can be swept away, so what is the use of trying.

That this in turn will create with in our children, an attitude of "Just Get By" and "What's the Use" or "Accept What You Can Get", and "Don't Strive for More", because look where it got mom all these years.

As well as protecting the Principles this Nation was founded on by military strength, we must also protect it with financial strength. Instead, we are giving it away.

Standing in an Unemployment line tells me my Government has let me down... NOT lending me a hand.

And it is no longer just those who have only their labor to offer who are seeing a trend in poverty wages, and having nothing at all. It is becoming all across the board. I feel as if my Degrees would serve better if I lit them and heated the house.

#56     Feb 24, 2010
  7. Unlike in the world of economic theory, in reality there are severe consequences to having massive unemployment and letting unemployment benefits lapse. This is why even most republicans are afraid to run on the "lets'cut unemployment benefits platform" or the "lets' limit unemployment benefits to 3 months" campaign slogan.

The consequences of throwing people out on the street (who can still vote by the way)during periods of already high unemployment are tremendous. Crime thru the roof, while even police are being laid off, perils to the banking system as home prices fall off a cliff, student loans going unpaid and neighborhoods falling apart. While all these things are happening now, cuting unemployment benefits to millions of people will make them much much worse very quickly. Will even the voters who are still working, appreciate the govt efforts to reign in cost if their homes value drops another 40 to 50% as everyother house on their block is vacant. If the public felt that at any moment they could lose their job and would have extremely limited unemployment benefits to feed their families, they would panic and save every dollar, this would destroy the retail sector and much of our consumer based society right when it is extremely vulnerable. This would even effect the wealthy as their businesses and investments in businesses would tank. Even if their taxes stayed where they are, if they lost millions in investments they would still be very pissed.

Obviously unemployment benefits will have to eventually end, but no politician rather on the local, state or federal level is prepared to suffer the consequences of ending them, until employment levels get better.

#57     Feb 24, 2010

8. Those of us who worked on a 1099 contract basis can't even stand in unemployment lines!

And so much regulations here can't even run a coffee cart or ice-cream truck w/o a bit capital!

#58     Feb 24, 2010
  9. zdreg

zdreg

maybe. owners of the co. may not be able to collect.

#59     Feb 24, 2010
  10. I did not realize it was a peer pressure type of situation. Regardless, why would it matter if Europe, Japan, China, Russia, etc. employed stimulus. If they all decide to impose 90% tax rates, should we do the same?

#60     Feb 24, 2010