"EXTENDED" unemployment benefits running out soon!!!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by S2007S, Jan 29, 2010.

1. the1

the1

My neighbor used to work for a contractor who did work for the local electric company so indirectly, he was employed by the electric company. Got laid off last February and applied at HD, LOW, Restaurants, Bars, Grocery Stores, Dollar Stores, Pet Stores, etcetera, etcetera. Guess what? He's still unemployed. He has worked pretty damn hard looking for a job and finally gave up. He desperately needs a job but can't find one. Why is it so hard for you to understand, <b>there ain't no jobs?</b> It don't matter how hard you pound the pavement -- there are more looking for jobs than there are jobs and it's gonna be that way for a long while.

#31     Jan 31, 2010
  2. This has been stated before but need repeating IMO. I know a few ppl out of work. The only jobs they could get paid the same or less than unemployment. So guess what they stayed home and looked for a good paying job and passed on Wallmart.

No I am sure I am going to get some sermon about they are lazy blah, blah, but I agree with them. They have been paying taxes for years this is the first time they are unemployed and they don't want to work at Wallmart for $10 an hour after making $40k + a year.

Have any of you seem some of the studies done where ppl, who have children, have to pay for day care. By the time the pay, wear and tear gas for car, its B/E. I guess I should open up a daycare center. :p

A lesson I learned well from my parents. Working smart is more important than working hard. In trading we have to do both frankly.

#32     Jan 31, 2010
  3. The other thing some don't figure out is that when you take a chance on a shaky job, and it doesn't work, your UI benefits are gone for good. If I am wrong please tell me otherwise, but I did research last year because my buddy on UI said otherwise and we went back and forth.

#33     Jan 31, 2010
  4. xburbx

xburbx

i dont buy it. i have seen people getting jobs left and right. i see people at stores i usually go to that are new all the time. unless you live somewhere off the grids, then maybe

#34     Jan 31, 2010

5. Have you ever worked in a grocery store as an adult with family obligations? Otherwise STFU.

#35     Jan 31, 2010
  6. bigb

bigb

Are you serious? If all of you truly believe it is so easy to get a job right now, then none of you have even tried. If you want to "prove" it to us, then take a challenge and go out and spend a couple days going around inquiring on open positions and report back to us your findings. I believe you will find a much more bleak situation on our hands. This world is a mess. For every one position, there are a 100 applicants. But then again, in your world, there are no homeless, only sloths. None of us enjoy paying taxes and some hate helping others, but when it's your ass in the position, you thank god someone is there to help.

#36     Jan 31, 2010
  7. Not to mention how do you support yourself on 10 bucks an hour with a family? Think about my day care example. If you parents don't live close it's over 1k a month for quality day care, and this is in Denver, not LA or NYC.

My friends spent months on Monster, Craigs List, nothing but Farmers Insurance Agents 100% commission, and networking meetings. Jack shit except 10 bucks an hours at Wallmart is all they could find. And we have only 7% unemployment in Denver Metro, go to CA where I went to take care of my elderly Mom. Over 13%, you can't go to a supermarket without being hit up for money in the parking lot.

#37     Jan 31, 2010
  8. the1

the1

Sears is hiring -- 100% commission. There simply aren't any jobs. People are not spending because they are afraid of losing their own jobs. Most are up to their eyeballs in debt and trying to unwind. It's going to take a few more years.

#38     Jan 31, 2010
  9. The companies I have seen hiring that pay over 12 an hour are hiring contract employees, not full time no benefits. I guess that's some sign of encouragement temps get hired before full timers.

#39     Jan 31, 2010
  10. Historically areas or regions that go into recession first come out first. I don't take the extremist opinions that some on this site take. I think the US will bounce back before the EU, because we went into recession first.

For those that think Austrian Economics is the way to go, maybe you are right maybe wrong, no one know until after the fact, it's all speculation. If there would have been no stimulus I honestly believe we would be in Great Depression 2. There would have been fire sales left and right, housing, cars, all must go, even faster than they did without UI and other benefits to support those affecte4d. And those responsible like me, would have been f*cked watching their property values plummet over night even faster. We have 6-7 empty homes 3 for sale and 3 bank owned out of about 60 and I live in upper middle class Denver. This will a reported 7% unemployment rate and living in Douglas County one of the richest in nation.

#40     Jan 31, 2010