Extended hours options trading

Discussion in 'Options' started by Dan Koren, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Do any brokers provide options trading during extended market hours? From comparing open interest for out of the money options at market close versus next day's open, it is pretty obvious some options must have traded overnight -- as they neither expired nor were they exercised.

2. guru

guru

No, except for futures and indexes.
    OI is updated only after hours, so it’s pretty obvious that you’re making assumptions :)

lucilefrancois likes this.
  3. Thanks for the clarification. Are you saying options on futures and on indexes can be traded during extended hours?

4. guru

guru

Yes. “Extended” in relation to the stock market. They have their own hours, you can Google the hours for whatever you’re interested in trading.

5. Thanks!

guru likes this.
  6. According to https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/?f=exchanges BATS EDGX options exchange trades from 7:00 am to 20:00 pm. What am I missing?

7. guru

guru

Hard to tell and I can’t find more info about this, but the bats edgx also trades stocks, so the hours may be general hours for the exchange, just not separated in IB’s database between stocks and options on them. You won’t be able to place or execute option orders outside regular hours anyway. But you can always try :)

8. Thanks for the prompt follow up. IB lists BATS EDGX as an options only exchange,
    separately from BATS Global Markets and BATS BYX. I will certainly try to find out
    if there is a way to trade there -- if the information is correct -- and report back.

upload_2021-6-12_4-9-6.png

9. FSU

FSU

SPX and VIX options trade form 2am to 8am ct. with plans to extend these hours to almost 24 hours a day. The only retail broker that I know of that allows trading in this full session is Interactive Brokers

Gambit and JSOP like this.
  10. Thanks!

#10     Jun 12, 2021