Exporting jobs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by UVLC, Dec 15, 2003.

1. tanp21

tanp21

letom13eur,
    On the average you may be right. The Indian people are well educated however when it comes to creativity, business knowledge or having to make a snap decision you are dead wrong. I see this first hand. India people are very good with theory however not very good with practicality. This equates to good coders (if the spec is defined unbelievably well) but bad business analysts! This lead to the development of CMM (Capability Maturity Model). What you will continue to see is the development jobs in India become more and more competitive which will raise the price/cost. This will take sometime to have an effect because they are so dam cheap. US coder 80/hr = India coder 20/hr.

Regards,
    Tanp21

#21     Dec 19, 2003
  2. The more people complain about job losses and politicians complain about job losses and propose steps to prevent it the faster is the job loss.
    Companies want to beat the deadline in case the window closes. Talk to anyone in the outsourcing business and they will tell you that is what is happening today.

#22     Dec 19, 2003
  3. Yup... politicians can only make it worse.

Face it... these jobs are toast. Deal with it.
    Nothing is gonna stop it.

But it would just be nice to see the Bozos at the top have
    their jobs shipped off to India for $25/hour :)

I'm SURE there are plenty of business PHD's over there
    that could run the company without all the options,
    golden parachutes, and million dollar salaries :)
    The share holders should take notice :D

peace

axeman

#23     Dec 19, 2003
  4. Turlo

Turlo

Capitalism at its best and worst......

#24     Dec 19, 2003
  5. But in many cases those evil bozos export those who can take their job to USA and make them part of the scheme. I can tell you from personal experience. :D

#25     Dec 19, 2003
  6. dchang0

dchang0

These programming positions aren't really eradicated, just transformed into a different type of position. I'm a computer programmer and used to work for IBM. The recent export of programming jobs has mainly been an export of the "commoditized programmer"--the guys who work on a small section of code that's a part of some huge application or operating system. They're basically worker-bee programmers. US programmers who lose their jobs as worker-bees are often forced (economically, not by their employer) to move up into a higher level of programming, such as software architecture, or into positions that transform business processes with technology such as data mining--stuff that companies won't export because they'll risk losing their competitive edge. Sure, the laid-off workers might not keep their jobs at IBM, but they'll usually end up in a higher or equivalent position in some other firm.

So it's really not as bad as it sounds. Even though the positions are gone, the people in them are still here. They gotta eat and keep a roof over their heads, and they will find new positions somewhere in the US economy. I see it as the inevitable process of globalization--let other nations do what they do best at their current levels of industrialization and technology while the job market pushes us in the US to pick up more and better "high-level" skills. We'll be developing ourselves into the cream of the crop of the global job market. The only thing that we have to worry about is that many Americans don't value education as much as they should. They'll be the ones whose easily-exportable jobs will be yanked out from under them, and then only the sharpest will survive by going back to school and picking up marketable skills.

#26     Dec 19, 2003
  7. #27     Dec 19, 2003
  8. xbrxx

xbrxx

The exporting of jobs has been happening for decades now. As other nations are willing to do non-skilled job for less wages, Americans lose their jobs. Take textiles and manufacturing for example. How many seamstresses do any of you know in America? Go to China and India, and each family has one. In the past, America use to have a boat load of them back in the early 1900s(my history dates suck). Other countries slowly acquired the technology, and their citizens were educated in it thus taking all jobs of Americans in those industries.

The real problem with America's economy is that technology is at a standstill, or perhaps a slow creep. Companies in America aren't investing into R&D, but rather looking for ways to reduce their costs to stay afloat. So while India and China's citizens are catching up computer science education-wise, America is but a small step ahead.

Take a look at your computer. What OS do you use? I know a lot of people who are still using Windows 98 happily. Most people don't even know what the difference is with XP and 98. They just know that it is more "stable". lol.

There are so many examples of how Computer Systems technology has not have had any real innovations in a long time. Perhaps when the economy picks back up, we might have some spectacular new inventions that will induce more jobs into America.

xbrxx

#28     Dec 19, 2003
  9. Well said. Can India make the next version of an already well established microprocessor, yes. Is that going to revolutionize an industry? No. This is still worker bee stuff. They can have our call centers, data entry and next version of our microprocessors while we come up with the next big bang.

As long as one is educated, motivated and able to embrace change, there isn't going to be a problem. Frankly, I'm happy to see that programmers are going to lose jobs ... I've been doing this for over 10 years and there are a lot of people who don't deserve the title in the least. I'm hoping this is going to eliminate the weak, they're really a burden on the rest of us. I hope they work at little harder at their new cashier post at the Wal-Mart.

:p :p :p

#29     Dec 19, 2003
  10. Oh yeah? What's going to stop them? Why do you think a research department of Merck or IBM, or NY University cannot be transfered to India? Why do you think they cannot hire qualified scientists in Russia or Vietnam and pay them $5 per hour as opposed to hiring scientists (often same people from Russia and India) in this country and paying them appropriate salaries and benefits.

What makes you believe that this country is going to be able to maintain its technical edge 15 years down the road if intelligent people are going to refuse to consider technical careers. Kids out of college are not going to be hired to do architecture. They obviously have to get experience in programming, coding, analisys etc first. Where are they going to get that experince if these jobs are overseas?

With the exception of lawyers, teachers and doctors pretty much any other white-collar profession can potentially be outsoursed, including managerial, financial, scientific and business jobs. It's just a matter of time...

As traders we do not really care, it's probably going to be good for the stock market, although even this is not assured. As a country it's going to make Bill Gates and Larry Ellison richer and wash out significant part of the middle class.

#30     Dec 20, 2003