Exporting data with Esignal

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by OHLC, May 26, 2002.

1. OHLC

OHLC

Since QQL will be discontinued, I'm worried about loosing the possibility to export intraday data.
    I already use Esignal for futures, but the only way I found to export data is to establish a DDE link, then coding a VBscript for saving the data along with the timestamp.
    This tends to slow down the machine, and I cant envision to do this on multiple symbols.

Would anyone know about a more efficient way to export from Esignal ?

OHLC

2. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

I'm pretty sure there are a few 3p applications that save our data and then allow it to be exported. In terms of eSignal, we have had quite a few requests for this functionality and have already started work within the new Advanced Charting module to create tabular files. Being able to export those files is one of our prime objectives.

You'll definitely see some work in this area make into an upcoming release. Unfortunately, I can't give a specific ETA at this time.

Thanks,

3. OHLC

OHLC

Thank you,
    It would be great to have this functionality directly incorporated to the software. Even better if this could be completed before the end of June :)

OHLC

4. Hi ESignal Support,

could you tell me what the capabilities of the DDE link are ?
    can you just export quotes or intraday + end-of-day charting
    data as well ?

Thx,
    Sascha

5. The question is what you are trying to do with the data. I think most of the 3P software vendors offer the ability to store historical data of eSignal or other data vendors and call the data up at any later time for viewing or backtesting. There are also ways to do that with Wealth Lab Developer 2 very easy.

6. docarzt

docarzt Guest

Sascha, it sounds like you want something like QLink from quote.com. Here you can create DDE-arrays which will be filled automatically. Every row in the array is one candle. I need this everyday, so I have to use quote.com
    But if I could do the same with eSignal I would sign up immediately with them.

7. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

DDE links with eSignal are very easy to set-up and use. We have a small utility available called SigTools that you can access via our Traders Toolbox once you load our program.

Most data fields are supported as are most symbol types. You simply create a link in one cell and eSignal updates that cell dynamically. You can then write macros to manage that data. At this point, you can't access historical data via DDE, you just have to save it yourself.

We are working on the functionality to export our historical data and hopefully will have something in a few months.

Thanks,

8. can someone give an example of what you could do with a macro in this case?

thx

9. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

One example would be in creating a 1 minute history of IBM for a given trading day. As the "live" cell updates, the macro is written to take the data in that cell each minute and then copy it to a blank cell. Another common use would be a daily process where you load your worksheet after-hours and the macros you've written grab the closing prices for all your stocks and append the history data for each symbol.

Once of our 3p's created a little utility called SigTools and we include that utility in the eSignal download (you'll find it in the eSignal sub-directory). They also have a program called DDE Capture that I'm assuming has expanded on SigTools and added macros to store the data. They offer a free 30 day trial on that utility as well.

For more on our DDE links, please visit our DDE FAQ section.

Thanks.