explain 'scalping' to a newbie

Discussion in 'Trading' started by pauk, Mar 22, 2011.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

NYOB, you are actually HELPING him... You should have said "Yes you are right" and let him register as a broker to earn the spread...LOL

#21     Mar 23, 2011
  2. No, you just don't understand market dynamics and microscture and are clutching onto straws as you've been (yet again) publicly proven a fool.

Explain how I'm dreaming? Or how just so far today I've made the spread on size and gotten rebates today over 20 times with only 2 one-cent losers all day? Clearly I'm dreaming.

#22     Mar 23, 2011
  3. Nice trading! Are you trading this parity hotspot at 4.38?

#23     Mar 23, 2011
  4. emg

emg

More than 90% of small traders trading the futures market lose. One of the reason is small traders do not have the MOST ADVANCED SOPHISTICATED ALGOR SUPER COMPUTER PLATFORM one of it kind in public (HFT Traders). Small traders will have to settle for cheap platforms with generic data feeds.

You can forget about learning how to make money scalping within the bid/ask spread unless you are worth $100 million.

#24     Mar 23, 2011
  5. You are dreaming because making some spread is not equivalent to making the spread all the time, which was the original question of the OP.

I highly doubt that you trade. If you have ever traded you would know that if it was possible to make the spread on a consistent basis, which I repeat was the OP question, the spread would be exactly 0.

#25     Mar 23, 2011
  6. awesome.
    Teach me how to do that!

#26     Mar 23, 2011
  7. emg

emg

i believe nyob is a prop trader using somekind of algor platform specifically for his scalping trade only.

#27     Mar 23, 2011
  8. That is different from the average guy trying to make the spread. Being able to place limit orders at the bid and ask does not necessarily mean you make the spread. I was trying to help a newbie understand what those prices are. I also said that

"Assuming you are a big player you can make markets but that is not without risks."

It is curious that he equated making the spread to being able to place limit orders. Only a fool and basically retarded person would claim that. Scalping is way much more than placing limit orders. It is about speed, order flow and many other parameters.

What is also curious is that once in a while some guy starts a wired thread about scalping and these characters jump in suddenly, all together, attacking everyone who says scalping is hard and claiming they are very profitable with it. I am not sure if they are fooling anyone but they are not fooling me for sure.

#28     Mar 23, 2011
  9. emg

emg

if u want to help him out, have him watched this movie:

http://flooredthemovie.com/community/

Maybe, he will become a grain floor trader trading within the bid/ask spread in the pits.

Or perhaps, trade the big SP 500 in the pits

As for electronic trading, leave that up to HFT Traders

#29     Mar 23, 2011
  10. Where does he say that?
    "Before you get further you have to understand the basics, which you don't.

The bid is the price at which people are willing to buy from you and the ask is the price at which people will sell to you.

If you come to the market, you can buy at the ask and sell at the bid. You immediately lose the spread. You cannot win the spread.

Brokers make the spread because they match buyers and sellers. They use the inventoty of the sellers to fill the orders of the buyers. They even pay for inventory (liquidity) a share of the spread.

Assuming you are a big player you can make markets but that is not without risks.

#30     Mar 23, 2011