Experinced traders only please ,Profit goals vs. buying power

Discussion in 'Trading' started by EQTRADER, Jul 13, 2002.

1. HI,

I am not trying to be smart, but why would you do this?? Also, I feel the more important question is how do you figure your stop. For someone to trade that size and take that risk and then be concerned only with if they are making enough money with it is someone just asking for it. If you are going to try that size I would suggest you trade the S and P emini and or the Nasdaq emini. If not the emini, then QQQ for Nasdaq and SPY or maybe DIA. I think over time you will develop a better feel for it. Please be careful.

John

#21     Jul 14, 2002
  2. PubliasEnigma

PubliasEnigma Guest

Babak,

I absolutely LOVE when I hear people say that... :p

Good Trading,
    Publias

#22     Jul 14, 2002
  3. -- Bernard Baruch

#23     Jul 14, 2002
  4. Mike777

Mike777

That doesn't make sense to me.

Any supply and demand auction/trading is driven by imbalance between buyers and sellers otherwise a price would never change. If the demand for oranges triples in one day then the price will be driven due to shortage of supply. If people stop buying oranges then the price drops as the sellers have to lower prices to attract buyers. That's why OPEC try and control supply to maintain a consistent price.

If there are 100 million WCOM shares for sale and buyers for 10 million then the price will go down until the imbalalnce is neutralised. That's .30 cents.

#24     Jul 14, 2002
  5. Babak

Babak

Mike,

You are mixing two things up. These two things are:

1] people that would like to sell/buy at a certain price
    2] people that do in fact sell/buy at a certain price

I'll use your example. In WCOM, there might be many who want to sell at a certain price. But they find that there aren't buyers ready to buy at that price to consumate a transaction. This has nothing to do with how many buyers there may be, but it has everything to do with what price the buyers are willing to buy at.

The potential sellers would have to lower their price to meet the potential buyers. Or else, the potential buyers would have to change their minds and increase their price to where the sellers want to sell.

Remember, a transaction is agreement on price, and disagreement on value. Prices change because one side of the transaction is willing to believe that the other side will prove to be significantly wrong in their calculation of value.

#25     Jul 14, 2002
  6. I think this is a matter of semantics. How can you ever PROVE if there were more buyers than sellers or equal number of buyers and sellers, but the buyers were more aggressive? Can this be measured? And does it matter either way, when the end result is the same?

#26     Jul 14, 2002
  7. Stocks like KLAC can make 3pts moves very easily on certain days, 11K on positions of those sizes on those stocks is not abnormally large. Won't happen everyday, but if you're willing to sit with 4000 shares of NVDA and 2000 of KLAC etc, you BETTER be going for 10k total profit when you initiate :D

To EQTRADER, why bother buying a variety of stocks in anticipation of a rally, why not just the QQQ's and SPY's? The only reason I ask is that unless you have some basket execution already setup, it seems that such diversification for the sake of just an intraday rally is kind of excessive -- makes more sense if you are swing trading for a multi-day position.

#27     Jul 14, 2002
  8. EQTRADER

EQTRADER

Thanks for your reply

I would rather be in stocks I feel are stronger than the overall market. If my basket rallys it should outperform the spy's and the Q's, and on the other hand, if the market weakens my stocks may hold up better.

#28     Jul 15, 2002
  9. EQTRADER

EQTRADER

These figures are for INTRADAY TRADING ONLY

Lets say a trader is long a basket of 7 stocks
    1k- adbe b 24.7 s 25.51....$ 810 p
    1k- bls b 30.6 s 31.13.....$530p
    2k- aol b 12.62 s12.6.....$40L
    2k- ge b 28 s 27.9.....$ 200L
    2k- amat b 18.25 s 18.85... $1200p
    2k-mu b 23.35 s 23.97.....$ 1240p
    2k csco b 14.15 s 14.25.... $200 p
    ---------------------
    $ 3,740 gross profit
    -$300 commish
    --------------
    $3,440 net profit
    I entered those positions at 10:30, sold them at 11:45, not a bad morning's pay!

#29     Jul 15, 2002
  10. Hope you went short for the rest of the day!

#30     Jul 15, 2002