Experienced Prop Trader - Trading or Job?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by shortinterest, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Your situation is personal and under such circumstances you should usually trust your gut feeling more than anything else.

As far as the institutional sales gig is concerned, would it happen to be a bulge bracket or a boutique? Also, given your experience, would they be placing you as an analyst or an associate? Are you comfortable reporting to someone younger than you? A lot of things to consider.

If you are confident about your trading ability then I'd look for some decent prop trading firms. After all, your losses could have just been a "black swan" event.

Alternatively, you could take a loan and pursue an MBA in 1-2 years. Ideally, take the institutional sales job (it could look better on your resume depending on the firm), run your current business simultaneously (perhaps reduce the scalability), do some occasional non-profit volunteering and work on the GMAT. You should be a competitive applicant for a top 15 MBA.

Your "story" is quite interesting and we actually share a lot in common in terms of interests. As such, I might stumble upon a similar dilemma in a few years, although I'm really flexible in terms of location and other factors. Fortunately, you have multiple options at your disposal.

#21     Mar 19, 2011
  2. Arb and the rest thanks for your feedback,
    My gut is telling me to trade, but my research and due dilligence is telling me to take the job and its really a mental friggin tug a war.

The new spot is botique, revs under 20 mill, but there is definitely upside, but not bulge bracket upside if you know what I mean.. Although its sales I think it would be a cake walk... When I went in there they showed me where the new peeps sit and they kind of looked like drones... As far as reporting to someone younger that wouldnt be an issue bc the mgr is older....
    Supposedly the mid level sales guys are earning around 300k and top guys 800k, but I dont know if I neccessarily believe it..

Im looking at it like this... I can easily float for a year or more if i need to and possibly bring in a little money from biz on side. If I take the job I can trade on the side but realistically to trade u need full attention. With this job I will be leaving home 6am and probably not back till 8pm wont leave time for much else...

#22     Mar 19, 2011
  3. if you're able to find a job in this crappy economy by all means take it. if trading is truly your passion, learn to trade kospi or even crude oil after hours. crude has been very active after hours lately.

#23     Mar 19, 2011
  4. Thanks...When does kospi open US time? What BD do you use/reccommend?

#24     Mar 20, 2011
  5. topeak

topeak

stability > risk esp if you have a family.
    totally diff ballgame.

#25     Mar 21, 2011
  6. mtromp31

mtromp31

Hello All,

I am 17 years old in the Chicago area with a great interest in trading, eventually i want to make a career out of it. Currently i am trading my own money on my etrade account while attending highschool. I havent chose the college that i will be attending yet but i am looking at schools with top business programs. For the time being i would like to get some experience at a prop trading firm, or hedge fund(I'm not expecting any responsiblities...mostly offering help around the office...to network with the industry professionals) Now i know most of you will say what i want is an internship and i need to be enrolled in college for this... you guys know of any prop firms/hegde funds that would take on someone like me for extra help doing little tasks around the office?

Thanks,
    Mike

#26     Mar 22, 2011