Experienced Portfolio Managers only

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Robert Morse, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Show larger.I`m sure you won`t be able to.

#41     Dec 29, 2016
  2. luisHK

luisHK

yeah, well i work alone and a 6 figure year would look like at least a slight problem but wouldn t mind more social life which i notice revolves around kids school and work after a certain age, or family situation.
    I must say making decent coin in a fund looksmore fun than making the same coin at home.
    Then it s been many years since i needed to sacrifice family time for work, i suspect that could suck as well but before that sacrifice i can see quite a few hours wasted in a day that.could be used more productively.
    Sports is cool if u have a lot of free time but injuries.can make huge dents in ur sports schedule - and morale.
    Reading Straight to Hell btw, which pribably influences this post.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    #42     Dec 29, 2016
  3. wintergasp

wintergasp

I agree it's not easy.

Intraday the best I can do is 180$ on Crude Oil. I've stopped trading anything below 50-80$. Some markets are easier than others, for instance Wheat, Soybean, Cocoa, I've never ever ever been able to get > 40$

#43     Dec 29, 2016
  4. wintergasp

wintergasp

To be honest it's not that much about the money, but it's impossible to have access to the same infrastructure in a hedge fund and in a basement. Anything from data to simulation to crunching / machine learning infrastructure is just way too expensive even if you have a capital of 4-5m$.

One of our competitor is paying a guy to count the number of cars that go through the Brooklyn bridge every morning. They've been doing it for 12 years. Supposedly that gives you a good idea of NFP numbers 5-7 days ahead... this kind of data is hard to get when alone...

Then bouncing ideas with people is also hard when alone.

#44     Dec 29, 2016
    alfa8 likes this.
  5. ElSegundo

ElSegundo

Similar to using drones to count cars in store parking lots for the retail numbers.

The "lone wolf" trader metaphor is a myth. Progress comes from collaboration not from mad geniuses toiling away using charts to discern the future. History has proven this time and time again, why some don't get it is a mystery.

#45     Dec 29, 2016
  6. ElSegundo

ElSegundo

Correct, it's an incredible opportunity. Why it is getting trashed Tells a sad story about the folks trashing it, nothing more.

#46     Dec 29, 2016
  7. Eurex is more interesting in this sense

#47     Dec 29, 2016
  8. False. Most people just don't possess the required level of observance, diligence and numeracy to design and implement a successful method. It's hard work

#48     Dec 29, 2016
    Van_der_Voort_4 likes this.
  9. algofy

algofy

Weren't you one of the ones trashing it surf?

#49     Dec 30, 2016
  10. ElSegundo

ElSegundo

No, just chuckling at how big the operation grew-- not the opportunity itself.

When i worked for a HF in NYC, we tested over 100 supposed winning elite traders for funding. 99% failed and this is vetted guys with proven track records.

Some of these people were still posting here with large followings up until recently

Only 1 trader had a real edge and its nothing u could ever imagine.

#50     Dec 30, 2016