Experienced futures scalpers: Chart or DOM

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NoDoji, Jan 12, 2013.

1. I have no argument with this, thanks. I agree Chart reading is a subjective art--- prior to PC's and clean data flows it was really all traders had to work with-- but now, to use a PC's power to draw charts makes little sense when that power can be directed to order flow, tape reading----things that happen prior to the print on the chart-- edge is structural not guesing from the past. Many traders are stuck in the past---

#51     Jan 14, 2013
  2. cornix

cornix

You may be right, but only in relation to HFT. As for longer-term plays, confirmation of past trades can and does provide very good information about what is likely going to happen next.

I am sure you are aware that no large orders are executed all at once and that many large traders act in a very similar manner to the information they get prior to their trades.

#52     Jan 14, 2013
  3. NoDoji

NoDoji

Surf, what you are missing is that "what happened" provides clues to what may happen next if price moves to a particular level. Life is full of levels beyond which people who held onto a conviction will either say "F*ck it, I'm outta here" or risk serious injury or death. Price charts show places where one team is likely to say "f*ck it" and either join the other team or run away. This reaction is likely to produce a strong directional price movement. Anyone with solid pattern recognition skills and a superb work ethic can learn to recognize these high probability pattern/context combos, and any of these people who then master a trader's mindset can profit regularly from trading them.

I started this thread to get feedback from experienced traders who've entered orders from a DOM as well as from the chart itself to get comparisons of the methods and alert me to some things I may want to watch out for trading directly on the chart (which I'd not done before until this weekend in sim).

As a CL scalper the single-click of the DOM is a huge plus, but the ability to immediately see key levels when I pace an order on the chart is very helpful. My first trade this morning was a loser only because I was focused on my procedure and missed a contextual clue that would've immediately been apparent if I'd gone to place my order on the chart itself.

I'm intrigued by the on-chart trading, but will need quite a bit more sim experience before making a decision to change.

#53     Jan 14, 2013
  4. cornix

cornix

Very interesting, NoD how we seem to evolve towards each other. :)

I used to trade from charts for years, now so happy to use DOM to enter NQ orders (still adjust already placed orders/stop-losses on open trades from charts though), cause on the DOM i quicker see the exact price levels and don't have to second-check if I place the order where I want, just need to remember the number and click it on the DOM. Voila! :)

#54     Jan 14, 2013
  5. NoDoji

NoDoji

Yes, I'm really programmed to keep the numbers in my head and single-click the DOM. Not sure how badly I want to reprogram myself, ha ha!

#55     Jan 14, 2013
  6. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

#56     Jan 14, 2013
  7. I trade the TF on multiple tick charts. 144 being the shortest which I use only for entries.

DOM trading is the only way I will trade. Averaging 2 points a day with 2 trades max within an hour time frame - so I'm not a scalper.

#57     Jan 14, 2013
  8. Visaria

Visaria

Your post is copied from an interview in a Market Wizard book. You should have the decency to make the appropriate attribute.

#58     Jan 14, 2013
  9. Visaria

Visaria

Now, what is this DOM i keep hearing about? Is it the same thing as a price ladder?

#59     Jan 14, 2013
  10. NoDoji

NoDoji

Yes :)

#60     Jan 14, 2013