Experience with high speed switches for cluster

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nitro, Jul 6, 2008.

1. ghobgood

ghobgood

I keep hearing a lot about cluster and grid computing in the financial sector. I am working with the same also. Currently setting up two clusters. One linux cluster running Matlab and another Windows cluster running Alchemi .net grid framework for custom software backtesting. Any other traders getting into this out there?

#11     Jul 16, 2008
  2. kinar

kinar

Best Quote Ever!

(note: I removed the name of the person who said this in this thread simply because I didn't want it to look like I was poking fun at him. I simply got a good laugh outta the line and wanted to reiterate it :))

#12     Jul 16, 2008
  3. I didn't speak clearly. I was inquiring about hardware platforms that you'd be working from just to try some mental speculation. You answered it for me though, HP blade servers running Linux (multi-flavored) and windows! Back when, mine were home for BEOS. I rarely talk about such things as many of my friends considered me the wacko guy with all those racks in his computer room. I hodge-podged a cluster (older Dells) and ran them through a Cisco SFS 7000. Got it on eBay for around $1,300 if I remember correctly. Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-SFS-7000-...ryZ11175QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It (the switch) was actually a trial project for a business application for a client. I hired in a Cisco guy to complete the configuration stuff after I fumbled with it for a few days. I enjoyed playing, but for the money I needed to be sure it was setup right. Unit specs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7000/index.html

I'm quietly looking into a possible pickup for another client of a combined package:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-c7000-Enclos...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

There are always a few good deals on there so feel free to nab this one if it makes sense. :)

#13     Jul 17, 2008
  4. nitro

nitro

Thanks for the response, and thanks for the links. I am a little worried in getting used hardware from eBay and having tens of millions of dollars riding on potentially flawed hardware. Otherwise, those are great deals!

I am also considering (T6320 since it has the T2 8-core processor) :

http://shop.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHO...ZtIBe.dq7gAAAEUaFY5G_c2&ShowAllProducts=false

nitro

#14     Jul 18, 2008
  5. mnx

mnx

shouldn't that say both Linux(Redhat), FreeBSD and Windows?

;)

sorry for the nit pick, just pointing out that FreeBSD is it's own OS and not considered Linux...

- mnx

#15     Jul 18, 2008
  6. nitro

nitro

Yep, yep. I should have said *nix, especialy since I may also use Solaris if I get the Sun blades.

nitro

#16     Jul 18, 2008
  7. raa1010

raa1010

nitro, what you might want to look at is www.ibrix.com, the latency can be eliminated with a file system. infiniband you can use with anybody really. most important thing is file system. hope this helps.

#17     Jul 18, 2008
  8. I do understand your concerns. It's why I generally make sure that the seller is one of the more reliable and that I have talked to them in advance. I've even traveled to see some of my purchases in advance in the past.

The price points genarally are such that even purchasing redundant equipment becomes a viable option. I also usually stick with the brand names as it affords further warranty and servicing options. Especially with many Cisco and Sun products. I can easily find myself purchasing one or two generations back for maybe $0.30 to $0.35 on the dollar. Good Luck, good shopping and good trading!! :)

#18     Jul 18, 2008
  9. nitro

nitro

Thanks for the link.

nitro

#19     Jul 18, 2008
  10. nitro

nitro

I agree. Getting 100% on eBay is close to impossible, and I see some of the sellers on the links you gave are at that level. I will consider it.

Good trading to you as well.

nitro

#20     Jul 18, 2008