Exits-- targets vs. trailing stops

Discussion in 'Trading' started by monee, Oct 9, 2002.

1. acrary

acrary

Breakouts with big runs in the SP usually happen around 30x per-year. Has been true since the SP started trading. Since you never know when a breakout will start, you need tight stops in the first two hours. After that, the probability of a trend day happening goes up quickly (especially if the market breaks out above the previous high/low of the day after the two hour period).

Here's what you can do with breakout trades for the SP using 3/4% risk per-trade and being somewhat selective. Starting equity was 150k in 1983.

#21     Oct 13, 2002
  2. Interesting. What's your definition of a "big run"? Do you get out at the end of the day?

OldTrader

#22     Oct 13, 2002
  3. acrary

acrary

Big runs are otherwise known as trend days. During these days the market starts near one end of the high/low and moves toward the low/high by the end of the day. For counting these moves the open must be with 10% of the high/low for the day and the close must be within 20% of the low/high on the opposite extreme.

In 2000 there were 33 of these days.
    In 2001 there were 35 of these days.
    So far in 2002 there have been 37 of these days.

The last 5 were 10/11, 9/17, 9/3, 8/19, and 7/24.

In the model's results that I posted, all trades are exited MOC.

#23     Oct 13, 2002
  4. Hi Acrary,

I hope you won't mind answering a few questions.

When you say within % of high low, are you refering to percentage of the move? So a 200 point move for example the 10% you refer to would be within 20 points of the open? (I'm thinking Dow here, but for S&P it would 1/10ths instead of points).

What do you mean by MOC - never heard that term before.

How do you spot that you are in one of those types of days?

Thank you

Girlpower

#24     Oct 13, 2002
  5. acrary

acrary

If the SP market had a 30 pt. up move, the opening price would have to be within 3 pts. of the low and the close would have to be within 6 pts. of the high. To me that defines a trend day pattern in daily price data.

MOC is a Market on Close order.

You can never know for sure you're in one of those days until the day is over. That's why I have losing trades. In the model results I posted, it looks for a daily pattern indicating a possible explosive breakout. During the day the SP market will not move much below the open if it's a possible trend up day. One clue I found is that the high and low in the first 2 hours is critical. From past data 90% of the time either the high or low for the day is formed in the first two hours of trading. If we had a possible trend up day, the market should breakout above the 2 hour range.

#25     Oct 13, 2002
  6. Thanks Acrary,

Looks like I will be expanding my thinking considerably. Time to start building a statistical model I think...

Thanks again :)

Girlpower

#26     Oct 13, 2002
  7. acrary

acrary

If you really want to study this stuff, I suggest getting all the Toby Crabel articles on the TASC website:

http://search.traders.com/Tanalysis.acgi$search?.Details=Details&.SearchText=toby+crable&.SearchArea=All

I bought his book years ago and it was priceless. Last I heard old copies were selling on Amazon for about $1,000.

Another more common form of breakouts that works in the SP market is the range extension breakout. I look for patterns in the daily data that suggest an extension of the previous days high/low is probable. I look at the morning range and take trades after 2pm et in the direction of a breakout if the previous days range hadn't been extended. Often this leads to a strong directional close for the day. Since this happens often, you get lots of trades and most of them don't win, but overall it's a winning strategy.

Here's the results of a model using range extension risking 1/2% per-trade since 1983 starting with 150k in the account:

#27     Oct 13, 2002
  8. monee

monee

Agree with your post Oldtrader.
    My toughest battle has been staying in profitable trades longer.
    Not sure what it's going to take,but at at this point resisting the temptation to close a profitable trade is very tough.
    I have to get used to the fact that uptrends do last for more than 5-20 minutes.
    Playing countertrend bounces the last month or so has had me used to bailing early and even then leaving money on the table.
    Your discrtionary exit sounds like the logical thing to do but at this stage I need some more concrete rules for exiting.
    Maybe giving the trades more time to work will come with a larger account, but I'm not going to get there without letting them run.

#28     Oct 14, 2002
  9. I believe trailing stop loss is the best way to lock in profit as the stock advances. No one knows how high the stock can go.

#29     Oct 14, 2002
  10. Depends on how much you make on the trade. Are you looking for nickles? Dimes? Quarters? Halfs? or more?

#30     Oct 14, 2002