Exit methods for trend-traders

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Cutten, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Donchian channels are also often used for stop placement (i.e., set stop for a long below the lowest low of the N last bars)

Regardless of method, there's no one size fits all rule that works for all instruments in all timeframes - so you'll want to spend a reasonable amount of time analyzing your instruments/timeframes of choice to get a good feel of what condition(s) most often signal an end of a trend period (e.g., how many bars to use in the channel, which EMA period works most reliably, etc.).

Good luck.

#41     Apr 7, 2005
  2. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Theoretically speaking any counter trend method could be used to produce exits in a trending system. I used to work with simple MACD and used RSI for exits. It reliably produces good results.

#42     Apr 7, 2005
  3. Cutten

Cutten

I don't really agree with this. By being long, you are effectively doing the same as someone who is entering costlessly at the last tick. If there is no reason to enter at the present market price, then there is no reason to hold a position at the present market price. If there were a reason to be long right now, then that reason is also sufficient for a flat trader to enter right now.

#43     Apr 7, 2005
  4. Think about it: does it really matter when YOU think the trend will break?

#44     Apr 7, 2005

5. Kewl!!

#45     Apr 8, 2005

6. bingo!

#46     Apr 9, 2005
  7. FWIW I use trend continuation signals to enter and trend ending signals to exit.

BUT ... I am asymetric wrt strength. I require a strong signal to enter and a weak signal to exit (so I don't just stop and reverse).

For me this effective.

#47     Apr 9, 2005
  8. Hi, I have picked the most recent trade in my journal to help show how I try and do things.

It is simple but I like it.

Would like to know if anyone else has the same kind of simplistic approach.

Here it is.........

• aspm.gif
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
    #48     Apr 9, 2005
  9. Excellent approach...

#49     Apr 9, 2005

10. What if your system requires holding for a 10point gain, but you're only up 6 points? You would hold. But should someone flat looking at your system also enter the market now? Wouldn't the risk v rewards be out of whack?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, X number of day highs/lows have been traditional reasons for exiting (and entering) trends. Not sure if they're still as widely used.

#50     Apr 12, 2005