Exit Checks at Stores

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aphexcoil, Nov 27, 2003.

1. I'm sure everyone here understands that time is a valuable commodity. How do you handle exit checks at stores? Do you just walk by security and tell them kindly, "Nope, sorry!" or do you allow store security to check your bag and receipt -- even when you have just purchased the items about 10 feet away from them?

I just walk through. If there is a line, I keep going. One time the buzzer went off (I didn't steal anything, but apparently the kid in front of me set it off) and the security guard practically yelled at me to stop. When I left the store, he followed me and asked me to return to the store. I told him, "Nope! Sorry!" and kept walking. It looked almost like he was about to tackle me. This was outside of a Best Buy if I remember correctly.

Does a store have any legal right to stop and detain you over suspicion of shoplifting solely from their electronic anti-theft device? I'm assuming no.

2. I have two artificial hips and when the antitheft devices came on the scene, I would invariably set them off. It got to be quite a pain to have to explain and explain and explain. My worst day, I set off seven alarms. They are better now because I don't set them off as much anymore and I can live with it.

I shouldn't have to explain that I have artificial hips to anyone. Its none of their business and violates my right to privacy. Sometimes I tell them that I have a metal plate in my head. They readily accept that excuse as well and I get a little chuckle out of it.
    regards