Existing HD in another existing computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Babak, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Babak

Babak

Hi guys,

boy! I really hope you can help me because I´m truly lost.

Here is what I did. I took my hard drive with me when I moved and put it in a new computer (thinking that I could save the hassle of taking my big clunky box). I mean the most important thing is your hard drive right? Everything else can be...whatever.

Anyway, I had no idea that this would be such a problematic thing!

Here is what happens when I start this new "patched up" computer (my hard drive attached to my brother´s computer):

I get the memory check screen (u know the one! with the scrolling fast numbers)...then comes the starting windows screen and the splash screen with the nice Windows 2000 Pro logo (that´s the OS on my drive)...then after that I get a blue screen:

***STOP: 0x0000007B F241B84C,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
    INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

Then I get some long instruction saying that if this is the first time getting this message I should just restart, if it is not then I must check/scan my drive (something about a virus...)

Anyone familiar with this sort of "blue screen" or putting an already existing hard drive (OS, programs, files, etc.) in a new computer?!?!

How can I make the HD understand and talk to the devices in the new computer?!?!

Thanks in advance.

2. gnome

gnome

Even presuming brother's computer has Win2000...

You can't count on taking the HD from one computer and having it run in another. Usually doesn't work... MIGHT work if the BIOSs are identical.

I think you are up the creek... unless some real pro has a work-around trick to post here.

3. Catoosa

Catoosa

May not solve the problem but I would jumper your hard drive the same as the one I removed from the second computer for a start.

4. FWIW-The computer store guy who has built a few machines for me answered that question when I posed it more or less:

If you want to put the old HD into the new computer and the MB, Processor, etc are identical it might work. When Windows installs for the first time it installs drivers for a bunch of stuff related to your MB, processor, etc and they will not be on the old HD.

The data on your old HD will be useable but anything else is not likely.

Hopefully some one more geeky than I in the ways of computers will give you a way to do it.

DS

5. prox

prox

Presuming you can live with losing everything on that hard drive, you'd save much more time reformatting than spending 10x more hours trying to patch that thing up to run on the new computer.

Even if could make it boot up and load, all the old drivers and settings from the previous computer would eventually corrupt Windows to where it'll limp along.

and then you'd "have" to reformat anyways, leading you back to what you should have done in the beginning..

6. Sounds like a IDE driver issue to me. If that is the case then try out these recommendation step by step as outlined in the following URL:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/other/motherboard/problems.htm

You may also check if the drive letter/IDE device assignments are identical to your previous computer settings i.e. primary/secondary/master/slave etc.

7. Babak

Babak

Thanks guys. I think I´ll end up having to ship the actual box to reunite them. That seems to be the only option which will produce the least headaches. :)

8. If you are just needing the data from your old drive you should be able to jumper it as a slave drive, leaving the computers original boot drive as the master drive and then access your data. It should be assigned an additional drive letter.

Good Luck

Also, if it is a Maxtor or Western Digital drive their support should be able to email you a utility to help you install this drive in the different computer.

9. StasDesy

StasDesy

Always have two partitions on your drive: one for OS (Windows or whatever) another for data.
    If you had the configuration that I just described then just reinstall Windows on the first (system partition) and install all the drivers required by your new comp. I did this many times (I work with multiple OSes and lots of comps).

As someone pointed out already it is a driver compatibility issue that casued you to see the BSOD (bluescreen).

10. Babak

Babak

Could you tell me a bit more about the partitioning that you mentioned?

From what you wrote, I understand that you have one partition for the OS and another for the actual data (programs, files, etc. How does this sort of two tier system help me in this situation?

I´m sorry but I just don´t follow you as I´m not a techie. If you explain with a bit more detail I may just get it. Thanks.

#10     Mar 9, 2004