Exercising Options

Discussion in 'Options' started by cashclay, Jan 15, 2016.

1. cashclay

cashclay

I read that this is a chose for me. Im a little confused to how this works. If i buy a call option at a strike of 5$ and it goes to 10$. Instead of selling the option completely and profiting off just the difference of the ask and bid price; i could exercise my options, buy out the shares and then sell it for a 5$ profit minus the premiums of course. is this right?

2. jo0477

jo0477

Unless you want to hold the shares, why would you exercise the option? You can simply sell it for the intrinsic value of $5 x 100 per contract + any time value left. You also avoid incurring any exercise fees from your brokerage, and instead pay only your regular option trade commission.

cashclay likes this.
  3. cashclay

cashclay

how do i sell it for the intrinsic value when all i can click on is the bid price to sell?

4. cashclay

cashclay

or is everything already priced into the bid.

5. jo0477

jo0477

Yes, the intrinsic value will be factored into the bid price. As a general rule, liquid options will not trade at less than intrinsic value.

6. cashclay

cashclay

gotcha ya ! thanks! lol sorry i know im being a pest right now but i dont have any one else to help me with. The books im reading are all in a language that seems somewhat foreign to me but im still tryin.

7. prc117f

prc117f

you sell to close. Also please really read something like (I recommend) Options For Rookies by Mark D Wolfinger.

Make sure you understand the basics before you make a mistake that can end up wiping your trading capital.

Yes read that book the broker sends you as well.

Also the OIC has an awesome free education portal that has all kinds of useful videos,instructional materials all for free.

http://www.optionseducation.org/en.html