Exercise equipment... got favorites?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KCalhoun, Jul 18, 2020.

1. I think perhaps your accolades are overstated...if only a tad. :D

I've discussed this in other threads, but I'll give you a "brief" overview here.

The resistance routine, excluding ~HIIT cardio, begins with pistol squats using relatively light dumbbells mostly for counterbalance. Doing the reps slowly, I reach failure by about 16 -17 reps, depending on the cadence. Without resting, I immediately do a few reps of split squats, using the same light dumbbells, to failure. It's easy using fairly heavy weight for split squats, but if you angle your body properly (nose above toes, and maybe even a little further, while keeping your heals on the ground), you can go a bit below parallel and really work the legs. The foot of my non-working leg is fairly close to the working leg, and angled with the instep on the ground rather than the ball of the foot, to ensure that it is minimally employed. I have found that doing simple split squats in this manner can be more challenging than either rear foot elevated split squats ("Bulgarian split squats") and even skater squats.

Next, I do calf raises on a block. You can use a stair also to get good depth at the bottom of the movement. Whereas I used to do them weighted a while ago, I now just do them unweighted and very deliberately. Up to about 70 reps per calf.

Then I do pronated, slightly wider than shoulder width grip pull-ups. These are followed by closed grip supinated chin-ups, with hands about 6 inches apart.

Using one of the dipping bars I then do inverted rows with a slightly narrower than shoulder width supinated grip. I elevate my feet about half way up the height of the bar. If you do them wrong, you can do many reps. But doing them slowly, not resting at the bottom while holding at the top can make them quite challenging. I reach failure in under 20 reps doing them this way.

I then do two sets of chest dips, and end with push-ups with my feet elevated at about coffee table height. As with any of these exercises, you can make the movement easy, or you can make it hard. Hard is better. Here is a short video on proper push-up form:
    And, if it interests you, you can read my last few posts in this thread for a few more particulars about my workout routine:

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/more-support-for-infrequent-whole-body-workouts.341042/

You will note that I don't do any overhead pushing movements. My left shoulder and I have reached an agreement. Life happens.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    #11     Aug 1, 2020