execution trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by hojei, May 30, 2011.

1. "execution trader for Japanese stocks from New York" ..... can you rephrase a little what you mean? Do you mean Japanese traders working for New York funds, or do you mean New York traders working for Japanese funds? Thanks. I didn't understand the part about japanese stocks FROM New York, I know you don't mean japanese stocks listed on NYSE.

#11     Jun 1, 2011
  2. LeeD

LeeD

I meant a trader who would buy/sell Japanese stocks listed in Japan (presumably on Tokyo and Osaka exchanges) for a firm based in New-York. One of the perks of such a job is living in NYC but working Japanese hours.

#12     Jun 1, 2011
  3. Everything mentioned so far is accurate, depending on the style of investing. VWAP is often used, but as mentioned not used if speed is a priority.

However execution trader's role is continuously beng diminished (has been for years now) due to buyside algorithmic trading and software programs....

It is cheaper, and requires less manpower, and human error.

#13     Jun 1, 2011
  4. For the boutique fund I worked with, they don't use algorithmic trading so still very much depends on a human to execute the trades and work the order. We also need a human to make calls to other brokers to execute parts of order, if required.

#14     Jun 1, 2011
  5. Makes sense. I guess my point was that human traders are much less in demand than before since the role of trading software has been able to mimick much of what a human can do. You rarely see or hear of buy-side firms hiring pure execution traders these days compared to the days of old.

#15     Jun 1, 2011