Execution speed of Dastrader, Sterling, RealTick?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by kakao, Jun 27, 2020.

1. kakao

kakao

I heard that dastrader's servers are near to the nasdaq servers but idk if it is a rumor.

But what about other platforms in title? Is there a significant speed difference between those platforms according to your experiences?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I think our servers for Lightspeed are at NY4.

3. Fx-Game

Fx-Game

Read the book Flash Boys, or why are you so opsessed?

4. GotherL

GotherL

Isn't your execution speed capped to your broker since they're just 3rd party platform that connect to it?
    Someone correct me if I am mistaken though...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  5. kakao

kakao

Good question.

6. qlai

qlai

One of things that is good with DAS is that they colo and get market data directly, not from third party. This does not help with execution speed, but does help with reaction time. Also since their platform connects directly to IB servers, not via TWS, they may actually be faster than TWS, but I don’t know for a fact.

7. GotherL

GotherL

TWS is already pretty fast execution minus all the annoyances like setting up your order, warning messages etc. I doubt a connection directly to IB will result in better execution. If it were true, that just be another blow to IB's already outdated and sloppy platform.

Only way to know for sure is if someone compares them both.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  8. qaz

qaz

The platform coding efficiency and language type determines how fast your order gets sent to IB server . Das trader is definitely quicker than TWS. Probably about half a second.

apdxyk and kakao like this.
  9. GotherL

GotherL

Can't afford DAS atm. Have you tried Medved trader by any chance? How do they compare to TWS in terms of execution?

10. qaz

qaz

I have not used Medved trader but I would guess that it is probably similar to TWS. In general, if a platform has more features baked into it, the more lag experienced between submitting the order on the platform to actual execution of order.

#10     Jul 2, 2020