Execution Platform for Algo Trading Options on Interactive Brokers

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by MarketCoding, Feb 17, 2017.

1. I'm trying to develop an algorithm to do day trading of options in Interactive Brokers. I have yet to find a good execution platform for scripting trades for that platform and seeing the performance on the chart.

Please advise if possible.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

When you DT options, make sure you count your orders. If you enter more than 390 orders per day on average over any month, your will lose customer priority, switch to pro-customer and have higher fees.

3. Good to know. Thank you.

4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

What have you tried?
    What have you liked, not liked?

5. None with Interactive Brokers (IB),
    I have used Thinkorswim (TOS) and am now testing Tradestation (TS). I am learning that the Easy Language (EL) in TS does not uses classes which is restrictive down the road. Also, IB is cheaper for options by about 30% over that of TS.

I've considered Sierra Charts but there are no videos or even screenshots and they recommend spreadsheets for doing the automation. This seems antiquated to me but I might still try it.

6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

In what language do you code?

7. C# but might give R a try. I think it's going to depend on which platform is used the most to do execution with IB.

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

We have software that counts to help stay within limits.

9. Robert, thank you.

Your's looks like a possibility but is even more expensive than TS if you consider the minimum per trade commissions.

10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Get thee to IB's webinar page, hit the API tab, and have a look around. There is also a new, IB sanctioned Python wrap of C++ (POSIX) on which there is a webinar and Youtube vids, in case it's not obvious. As well, there is an R wrapper (Java?) and a popular IBPy (Java) wrappers out there.

#10     Feb 17, 2017