Execution - Adding to a position

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sammy1986, Nov 15, 2011.

1. sammy1986

sammy1986

Dear all,

Great to be part of this fine community, and I wish you all the best with your respective trading endeavours.

I trade the S&P E-mini intra day, and have recently moved from trading 1 lot to multiple (the latter depending upon certain risk parameters depending upon the trade), and am facing difficulties with adding to a winning position.

I tend to find that I either add too soon, and get stopped on on a routine market retrace, or am too defensive and find the market does not get to my entry, in both cases more often than not reaching my target.

The net result is that in both scenarios this is severely impacting my performance, since my system relies on pressing home advantage on correct trading ideas.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Sam

2. welcome to et. i suggest using a money management similar to the turtles like add a car (contract) every .5 atr but risk the same amount on every add. here's a link to the turtle rules.

you (in general) don't know if a trend will retrace or explode and not look back that's why it's important to be in every one. you can't predict the strength or length of a trend but you can participate in every one and limit risk in every one.

bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/files/turtlerules.pdf