exchange traded spreads?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by ducatista, Jul 8, 2021.

1. I am looking to trade spreads via exchange contracts if possible, but having trouble gathering info on these instruments

for ice I was able to find a total list here https://www.theice.com/products/?filter=spread
    while the list is concise, it is of little interest to me since I dont trade ice

for cme I found this list https://www.cmegroup.com/clearing/m...RUDE+OIL+SPREADS&clearingCode=A2&pageNumber=1
    however, I dont understand the notation. for example, if I want to trade a 1m WTI spread (front month/back month), is this product code 'A2'? why are there 3 A2's? and why is it referred to as a 'financial combo'

also, how do I find these contracts in my broker? ('a2' does not return anything). lastly, are these contracts TAS eligible? they seem to appear in the TAS eligibility document I downloaded from CME, but again - how do I find a ticker? https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/trade-at-settlement-outright-calendar-spread-availability.html

2. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

I asked my Colleague John Thorpe to share his point of view on the question:

Access to spread quotes are literally a function of the trading platform you have, there are many intra-commodity spreads that are actively traded, no more so than the EuroDollar spreads with the largest daily participation, Grain, Energy , interest rate, livestock spreads are also popular in addition to inter commodity spreads like gold-platinum, energy crack spreads, soybean crush spreads, corn wheat and so on.... each clearing house supports it’s own nomenclature so it’s imperative you get to know your representative, support team to spend a little time understanding how they process the quotes and executions through your trading platform.

On a similar note, some trading software allows the trader to incorporate “custom” spreads, spreads that are not recognized by the exchange.

For both futures and options, again, by having a good relationship with a professional, they can help you through the options depending on your specific needs…

There are a few high quality services that also highlight potential spread relationship trades that tend to be highly liquid as well. We hope this helps! We would sure welcome offering our support to your endeavor, make it a great day!

ashleybenson and ducatista like this.
  3. bone

bone

Ask your broker, because there are quite literally several thousand exchange supported spread combinations available on CME alone.

Nearly all of your daily volume away from the prompt month is a product of spread trading.

ducatista and CannonTrading_Ilan like this.
  4. traderjo

traderjo

Which platform you use?

5. IB mostly

6. traderjo

traderjo

on IB I type underlying instrument code first and that then gives further option like Futures spread/ combo etc
    Asking IB support for things like spreads definition etc is a pot luck:banghead:

People say CQG and TT are better platforms for Spread trading! but as other's have said your FCM also important

7. Yes, I haven’t had much luck w IB CS. I’ll have to look elsewhere I suppose

8. I am using IB and I have not found a way to see quotes or charts of futures calendar spreads (roll of front month to back month). Likewise, I have not found a way to see the complex order book of CBOE SPX options. I have also not been able to create order tickets for Eurodollar strips; the TWS seems to be completely dysfunctional for this. If anybody knows how to do any of those 3 things, please let me know.

9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

IB doesn't display the native calendar spreads quotes but the difference between the 2 months( false ). It also displays the prices the opposite of the "normal" way ( + front - deferred being long usually ).

10. Do you know which of the other brokers display native calendar spreads?

#10     Jul 20, 2021