Excel Trading right from Spreadsheet?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by scooke, Oct 8, 2011.

1. I bought the Microsoft 2010 x 3 licenses... used 1 only

Pending purchase of a new PC 6x core AMD with Windows 7.

All are "very" cheap now.

#11     Nov 22, 2011
  2. Heh, btw im frm Singapore. I just saw my local stores with AMD FX-8150 8 core CPU. About USD$300+. Looks good :p

#12     Nov 22, 2011
  3. Interestingly, there were improvements made in 2007 and then again in 2010 towards parallel calculations in worksheets. However, once again, I think no improvement in that regard occured with VBA-based functions.

Yes, you are right. With a 6x processor, you could assign a separate Excel instance to each core.

#13     Nov 22, 2011
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

how do you assign an instance of something to specific core?

#14     Nov 22, 2011
  5. http://www.addictivetips.com/window...cessor-affinity-to-an-application-in-windows/

And they are correct about it being highly NOT recommended.

Setting processor affinity screws with hyperthread algos as well as other things such as dynamic memory allocation and page file use.

Yes VBA is somewhat limited but if you are reaching the limits of VBA why not make the jump to C#? They are very similar and for someone running that many spreadsheets the C# switch should be easy and much better.

No, a 6-core or an 8-core probably won't help unless you keep the clock speed up and crank the memory up in the machine. Most of those 8-core CPUs (that are reasonably priced) are very low clock speed and will be somewhat disappointing.

#15     Nov 22, 2011
  6. A couple of tools that may help:

http://orlando.mvps.org/XLtoEXEMore.asp
    Converts XLS to EXE

thecommon.net
    VB tool set for using SQLite DB in excel without ms stack overhead.

Requires much work up front but the results are worth while.

#16     Nov 22, 2011
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I see. I have a quad core i7-2600. It probably doesn't make sense for me to do this.

#17     Nov 22, 2011
  8. Interesting with the Excel to EXE. Not sure if my IB still works if its "EXEed" Just so afraid that it contains virus too haha!

Anyway, I haven't met with a processing CPU issue as of running 30 workbook in Single Excel. Likely, instead of doing additional programming (which makes coding harder though increase compatibility,) I will be instead opening additional accounts, and run it off 2 machines, or VMware them.

I don't believe I could run 50 stocks, 5 fx, and 2 futures off 1 account, due to reporting and strategies, not just the technical limitation, so separating computers would be a better choice, hence I can "do" away (lazily) with the technical stuff. Aadditional computer for Asia trading I hope.

#18     Nov 22, 2011
  9. I had tested one workbook, 50 symbols, ActiveX TWS using reqRealTimeBars...new data every 5 seconds.
    It completely pegged the CPU at 100%.

#19     Nov 23, 2011
  10. WHat's your spec ? Have your tried with a Quad core, 4GB ram ?

Im on a 945 AMD. and with 30 workbook (I was playing games even!) I didn't hit 100%, maybe 30-50% and spikes.

And my excels are flickering, constantly switching between workbooks.

#20     Nov 23, 2011