Excel Macros running slower in Windows 7 than XP

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by EEUT84, Jan 3, 2012.

1. EEUT84

EEUT84

I recently upgraded from xp(32bit) to win7(64bit)...only hardware change was that I installed an SSD as well. Still running Excel 2003, yet my macros run about twice as slow now. Anyone know what gives? A quick google search yields a few people with the same problems but no real solution. Fairly disappointed given the fact that I dropped some cash on a faster HDD and OS but got slower results. Thanks in advance.

2. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

3. It actually suggests that you are doing something wrong somewhere. Excel 2003 should run pretty much the same in either environment.

4. EEUT84

EEUT84

Doing something wrong outside of Excel? i.e. security settings or something?

Thanks for the responses so far.

5. I have a monster server, 12 cores, 76GB of RAM, solid state raid array, etc and when I first bought it, I chose windows server 2008 64bit as the OS. The computations I perform are pretty intense and run for about 24 hours utilizing about 22 threads. I have spent a lot of time performance tuning this code, so I was familiar with the overall performance on the previous server I was using, which ran Windows server 2003 64bit.

Anyway... My .NET 2.0 c# code ran significantly slower on 2008 versus 2003. I narrowed the problem down to I/O system calls, then lost interest and backed down to Server 2003. The newer windows code just did not deal with huge I/O operations as efficiently. I tend to snarf a couple of terrabytes of data a day...

You might try upgrading RAM. Make sure you have all the service packs. I'm don't know if your macros will work 100% on the latest version of office. I had a bit of trouble with some of my VB Automation code once I moved to 0ffice 2010.

I feel your pain and ahve experienced basically the same thing. I want to upgrade OS's on my servers, but I'm stuck on 2003 until CPU's catch up with the performance degradation.

6. Good1

Good1

I also recently upgraded from xp(32bit) to win7(64bit) with 4 gigs of RAM. In an XP command window, I enjoyed experimenting with line-numbered GWBasic. Because you can't run 16 bit programs directly in win7(64bit) i found other ways to run old programs, ie. DosBox or Virtual PC. But no matter how i run those interpreted .bas scripts i wrote, there's a very noticeable slow-down.

7. EEUT84

EEUT84

Thanks for the responses guys. I don't run some monster systems like some of you do, and my trading is not super low-latency, but it's irritating to see the degradation in performance. I recently spoke with an HFT who scoffed at my use of XP, which prompted the upgrade, only to be even slower than before. Granted, they are in an all unix/linux environment, but I don't have the bandwidth to move all of my stuff to a platform like that.

Part of the reason I bumped up to Win7 was because I read it handled an SSD more efficiently. Anyone running XP with an SSD that had any performance issues (or lack of improvements)?