Excel - IF/AND/THEN ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by sargie, Jul 12, 2005.

1. sargie

sargie

Hi. I have a s/sheet which applies a margin above a swap rate. However, its based on multiple criteria of if the loan rate is above the Cap rate, use the Cap, and if its below the Floor, use the floor etc. However, I need to include another Cell, which if 'not blank' overrides any other value, ie the Swap rate and cap/floor.

Any suggestions? I've tried various nested IF's/ AND's with no luck. Thanks.

2. Quiet1

Quiet1

try the is-blank bit first on its own?

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK(A1)),A1,IF(X>Y....

3. omniscient

omniscient Guest

is there any way, without revealing more than you wish to share, you can provide a screenshot or XLS file as a sample? even if you used bogus criteria or something to mask the true process, i might have a better idea how i would proceed.

of course, someone else may see exactly what you are asking and have a quick solution for you.

take care -

omni

4. sargie

sargie

Thanks. Here's a screenshot. As you can see, its a fairly straightforward formula, however, I need an override in D4 so that if D1 is NOT blank, use it, otherwise continue with the Cap/Floor IF statement.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

5. omniscient

omniscient Guest

i think Q1 nailed it for you, but here's a little spreadsheet with my understanding.

hth

take care -

omni

6. sargie

sargie

yes - both are good. thanks guys, much appreciated. I didnt realise Excel had BLANK functionality to be honest ! cheers, S.

7. IF/AND/THEN ???

not

IF/THEN/ELSE

8. man you guys are awesome...too fast for me.