Excel automated web query to get delayed info

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by bungrider, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Hi,

I have an excel sheet that gets reloaded with new symbols twice a day, using a simple macro to cut and paste from an outside source into excel.

What I would like to be able to do is automate the importation of two fields - today's volume, and average volume - from the net into excel. I plan on using 20min delayed data.

I have my symbols running down a column, and I would need to have the query automated so that it reads each symbol, and then puts today's volume and the average volume for each symbol in the next two columns.

I realize that excel has a query file prebuilt for stock quotes, but I'm not sure how to use it for a column of tickers....

Anyone know the quickest way to get that stuff into excel??

2. (1) First try cutting and pasting the ticker data into Excel. If this is not possible and there is no other way of producing a suitable format from the source, try using a text capture with SnagIt - maybe this will be more amenable to importing.

(2) Sort the table from (1) alphabetically by stock symbol.

(3) Use the VLOOKUP function to fill your 2 columns from the corresponding imported table.

Once all the quirks in (1), (2) and (3) are ironed out, automate the process with a macro.

Disclaimer : Never done this myself, just trying to help.
  3. Thx anyway...found a plug-in I downloaded that will do it with minimal effort. Only thing I don't have yet is avg volume.