Excel automated web query to get delayed info

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by bungrider, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Hi,

I have an excel sheet that gets reloaded with new symbols twice a day, using a simple macro to cut and paste from an outside source into excel.

What I would like to be able to do is automate the importation of two fields - today's volume, and average volume - from the net into excel. I plan on using 20min delayed data.

I have my symbols running down a column, and I would need to have the query automated so that it reads each symbol, and then puts today's volume and the average volume for each symbol in the next two columns.

I realize that excel has a query file prebuilt for stock quotes, but I'm not sure how to use it for a column of tickers....

Anyone know the quickest way to get that stuff into excel??

thanks!
    -bung

2. (1) First try cutting and pasting the ticker data into Excel. If this is not possible and there is no other way of producing a suitable format from the source, try using a text capture with SnagIt - maybe this will be more amenable to importing.

(2) Sort the table from (1) alphabetically by stock symbol.

(3) Use the VLOOKUP function to fill your 2 columns from the corresponding imported table.

Once all the quirks in (1), (2) and (3) are ironed out, automate the process with a macro.

Disclaimer : Never done this myself, just trying to help.

3. Thx anyway...found a plug-in I downloaded that will do it with minimal effort. Only thing I don't have yet is avg volume.