Excel and FIX for algo autotrading

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by mcgene4xpro, May 16, 2013.

1. hi

Sierracharts has a nice spreadsheet study similar to Excel and was wondering if the cells in that study can be accessed by external programs. I am trying to build a basic autotrading system in Vb and need to access study values from the spreadsheet. Any experiences with Sierra on this? Thanks.

#21     Jul 29, 2013
  2. Ooook. Things have changed.

Why use VBA when since Excel 2003 - they allow you to write your code in C#? First class citizen. Code behind with all the games you want, including multiple threads.

So, yes, see - things have changed a lot.

#22     Jul 29, 2013
  3. pfranz

pfranz

write your code in C# = you can do what you want with a standard interface (.NET instead of COM),still slower (in general) than VB6

You're actually telling that principles haven't changed at all,as I supposed.

#23     Jul 29, 2013
  4. Excel and FIX? What a strange combination.

Why not showing up for the final tennis match in tap-dance shoes and a 7 iron golf club?

#24     Jul 29, 2013
  5. ...there can't be any positive input from people that know and trade algorithms every day. Why would you ever use Excel to trade? I do not get it. Other than the most basic order input I see no reason whatsoever.

Let me ask you another way:

Why, when you know that most all data source and execution APIs are targeting languages such as C++, Java, and .Net would you want to squeeze the data through a bottleneck (which Excel is because communicating with Excel is extremely slow and it requires extra work and introduces and extra point of failure)?
    What does Excel give you other direct solutions do not give you?

I highly doubt one can be profitable if one displays the ignorance and rejection of learning a programming language in order to implement a trading front end. Better to buy one than using Excel. I just fail to see a single reason why someone would want to use Excel. Is it because you can easily setup a beautiful charts so you can visualize your bid/offer spread, or your whatever? I have in my 15 years in finance not seen one long-term profitable chart/visualization based trader. Not one!!! But then most all the empirical evidence is drawn from professional traders at banks and hedge funds. Maybe there are some independent traders who insist there is an advantage of looking at a graphical spread representation over the numeric type. I just do not see it. But I would love to hear your arguments, maybe I am missing something.

#25     Jul 29, 2013
  6. yes VBA will do everything I want AND dont want including frequently dropping connections because all of the following are old technologies and are rather unstable: DDE, RTD, ActiveX. Good luck, you will need it.

#26     Jul 29, 2013
  7. Check this

fxone.com

#27     Jul 29, 2013
  8. So what, its twisting your arms three times to touch your nose. A company putting COM components onto Excel, for the computer illiterates who cannot run the same from within an IDE of a programming language of choice. You still fail to present a single advantage of using Excel for trade execution. Because you can customize the layout? Great. Some are in the market to make money and then there is the rest who want to make their front end look pretty. Let me know where I can send flowers to, they are on me....

And why does your userId look like FXCM and why is the ONLY way to live trade an account using the technology you linked to (FXONE) to trade an FXCM account? Funny coincidence or snake oil selling...? Unless ET has removed the "sponsor" badge you are not even a paying sponsor. If FXCM is that cheap imagine how they will take apart the unassuming clients who flock to them ;-)

#28     Jul 29, 2013
  9. Yep, and I've experienced this. You must constantly check to see if your connection instance is still "Not Nothing".
    Finally, and this is the most important issue, Excel/VBA is STA (Single Threaded Architecture). To prove this, I hooked-up IB's ActiveX component and got realtime quotes every 5 seconds for 30 stocks. It maxxed-out one core of the quad core CPU...simply pinned that core to 100%.
    To make this work right, you'll need several instances of Excel so that you can emulate a multithreaded mode of operation.
    With a single thread/instance, I'd say you can track about 5 symbols at one time in realtime. That's it.

#29     Jul 31, 2013
  10. I am not surprised to hear that. I am sure if you make couple adjustments then Excel can be fed with updates for more symbols but in the end the interfaces to Excel are anything but stable, including RTD or ActiveX.

#30     Aug 1, 2013