Examples of statistical edges in sports betting?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BillySimas, Feb 16, 2012.

1. peleus

peleus

It even ballooned this year. It's pretty much amazing how much growth it gets in the next 10 years. [​IMG]

#21     May 31, 2014
  2. I miss tradesports.com (they are back but not doing person to person betting like they did some years ago).... You used to get some pretty good odds on most sporting events. Not a ton of liquidity but for a small better it was plenty...

I think all of the person to person betting sites don't allow US accounts?

At least Matchbook.com doesn't seem too...

http://www.quantbubble.com/category/sports-trading/betting-exchanges/

#22     May 31, 2014
  3. This says "FX" but most of this guy's bank account came from sports bet arb plays:

http://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/...a_university_failure_turned_fx_and_arbitrage/

#23     Jun 1, 2014
  4. ramora

ramora

Take a look at "Calculated Bets: Computers, Gambling and Mathematical Modeling To Win"

It came out before Moneyball and describes a working system.

"Steven Skiena, a jai-alai enthusiast and computer scientist, documents how he used computer simulations and modeling techniques to predict the outcome of jai-alai matches and increased his initial stake by 544% in one year. Skiena demonstrates how his jai-alai system functions like a stock trading system, and includes examples of how gambling and mathematics interact in program trading systems, how mathematical models are used in political polling, and what the future holds for Internet gambling. With humor and enthusiasm, Skiena explains computer predictions used in business, sports, and politics, and the difference between correlation and causation. "

"Steven Skiena, Associate Professor of Computer Science at SUNY Stony Brook, is the author of The Algorithm Design Manual (Springer-Verlag, 1997) and the EDUCOM award-winning Computational Discrete Mathematics. "

http://www.amazon.com/Calculated-Be...897&sr=8-1&keywords=jai-alai+software+betting

Good luck,

#24     Jun 1, 2014
  5. two words: correlated parlays

#25     Jun 1, 2014
  6. game

game

7. peleus

peleus

I'll be looking to try this out and see how it goes. It's doesn't get any legit if it's from NBA. [​IMG]

#27     Jun 6, 2014
  8. Can't give a statistical edge, but I've always liked taking halftime lines on the favorite when they are down. i.e. Miami (-5) for game, but down 7 at half. If the halftime line is Miami (-8), that is net Miami (-1). The key is, IMO, to be able to understand the ebb and flow of the scores. Has Miami been down 10-15 points all game or were they up 2 and the other team went on a 7-2 run last 2:00 minutes of 1st half. 1st example probably don't want Miami, 2nd example, well haltime score doesn't reflect what is really going on.

Now then, I think of markets much in the same way...

FS

#28     Jun 6, 2014
  9. buy the dips?

#29     Jun 6, 2014
  10. 2rosy

2rosy

hook up with a playa
    read some articles here and here
    I think to make money as the gambler you need to find a niche market where you know the odds are out of line. Something like betting on college bowling regionals or auctions

#30     Jun 6, 2014