Examples of expertise / mastery

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by bookish, Apr 24, 2017.

1. bookish

bookish

I'm interested in the concept of developing mastery and examples of mastery.
    Please contribute an example of mastery where you were most impressed.
    By this I mean more knowledge and less accomplishment.

I'm not really looking for "John Doe made 9999999% returns in a week" but more for a description of how something is much more complex than it appears or all the tricks that go into doing some thing or another expertly well. An example is the time a friend of mine who owns a lawn mowing business told me all these details about how to get a good mow. I realized it was not as simple as I had guessed and had extra respect for the guy being a lawn mowing black-belt. Then he told me all that stuff he said was only about half of what he could tell me but the other stuff was secret!

Does not have to be trading related but that is welcome as well.

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Hell, man! This is trading! *Most* of what goes on is bullshit-hiding-in-subterfuge-masked-as-magic! The idea *mostly* is HIDE what is simple under Byzantine-fractal-high-floob siliness.
    *Our job* is the classic Executive Function: filter out the noise, find the nub -- the kernal -- and work it. For most of us, finding a profitable gem in this plied-over pile of dirt is *supposed* to be impossible, from the number(s) of fingers who'd passed over the pile before us. "Mastery"??? Nah. Persistence.

("If the fool would persist, they would be wise." said one master......)

wave and speedo like this.
  3. speedo

speedo

What Tom said..."Mastery" is just hard work and discipline.

4. Just want to interject my thoughts here. Being that this is a trading site I will limit my comments to trading. Not that other lessons in life do not apply. Trading is results oriented. So it is mastery to demonstrate adaptation to market changes and learn resilience. Being a chameleon is not necessarily considered a mastery but "learning it" can be. Thank you traders for reading what I write and I hope I am not wasting anybody's time.

ElectricSavant™

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  5. bookish

bookish

So... picking up grains of salt... covered in shit... in front of a steam roller?

Screw it. I'm getting a job at mcdonalds.
    :)

It might not be cleaner, but at least I'll make more money

:)

6. So... picking up grains of salt... covered in shit... in front of a steam roller?

Good One udaman...