Ex-NFL player Tillman killed in Afganistan

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aphexcoil, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Uh, wasn't there a guy named bin Laden that the Taliban sheltered and refused to give up after September 11th? In fact, wasn't there a whole terrorist network that just became bigger and more successful that the Taliban refused to stop aiding and sheltering? At what point is the US actually entitled to defend itself?

#31     Apr 24, 2004

2. boring prattle

#32     Apr 24, 2004
  3. Yah, but he not only was willing to risk his life for it, he gave up several millions of dollars, a lot of fame, women and an easy life to become a Ranger (a very difficult task that a large percentage of very tough people who try fail to become) and go live in very crappy conditions to perform a service.

HUH?

Talking about it is the easy part, whether you realize that or not. Actually giving up a rich, generally easy and good life for the harsh and rugged conditions of Ranger life (including Ranger school and living in Afghanistan), and risking your life (which he ended up losing), is what sets him apart from the extremely vast majority. And this is a guy who had made a good deal of money, but who was not yet even close to crazy rich, and his brother gave up a potential major league career before he'd made any real money. Now his brother is making no more than $25k a year (what many people here brag about making in a month), to live as a ranger and risk his life too (rather than to play a freaking game and nail hot chicks).

Oh, and BTW, what enlightenment is there in what YOU just described in your naive glorification of battle? Do you realize that a large percentage of troops are killed by a roadside bomb as they just drive by in a convoy? Do you realize that a very large number of troops have lost limbs by these bombs or by being an easy target at some street corner when some POS shoots an RPG missile at them. As depicted in Saving Private Ryan, do you realize that many troops were shot before they even made it off the boat (or out of the water) in previous wars. Airborne troops were often killed in their planes before they could jump out (or in the air or a tree as they were falling). Yah, ok hotshot go watch your John Wayne film again and sit around talking about what you "would" do.

You don't have to be a ranger to fight. However, were you in the service, and if so, how were you "denied entry" into the rangers?

#33     Apr 24, 2004
  4. What a thorough rebuttal! You are so reflective, no wonder you've made such thought provoking remarks.

#34     Apr 24, 2004
  5. Nearly as thorough as this one liner. And if I go through this thread how many one liners am I likely to find with your name on them? As for the rebuttle, it's on its way fucker.

#35     Apr 24, 2004
  6. ok, fuck you too bitch!

#36     Apr 24, 2004

7. You're not intelligent enough to challenge me. I won't waste my time. Have a nice day, and next time pick on someone your own size.

#37     Apr 24, 2004
  8. :D

#38     Apr 24, 2004
  9. Leave it to Rowenwood to turn a thread created to honor Mr. Tillman for following his beliefs into a self-serving attention-starving ego-fueling diatribe of endless rebuttals against other users.

#39     Apr 24, 2004

10. Candletrader, you know very well that there's no scientific measure of heroism. You must be blind not to realize that many people, myself included, would call someone who sacrifices the "finer things in life" and put himself in the path of danger to fight to preserve and safeguard the precious principles of liberty, justice, equality (believe it or not, maybe not your definition of it though) and opportunity the society he lives in brought into the world. You don't think this sounds more likely to be the motivation behind Tillman's decision than that he did it to help out Uncle Sam setting up those pipelines?

Furthermore, what a bizarre suggestion that setting up the Taliban was the US aim in Soviet-era Afghanistan. The goal was to engage the Soviets, drain them and, if possible, drive them out. The fact that a very effective means (the most?) of doing this was to recruit fanatical muslims -- or just devoted muslims and make them fanatical -- shouldn't be confused with setting out to create a totalitarian religious regime like the Taliban. The Taliban were an unfortunate after-effect. In future though, you may be as kind as to lend us your crystal ball, so as to avoid similar such after-effects.

PS -- why the fuck won't you contact me dude, I've sent you a few PMs. I haven' chatted with you in ages.

#40     Apr 24, 2004