Ex-NFL player Tillman killed in Afganistan

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aphexcoil, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Very noble of him but I question his intelligence.

#11     Apr 23, 2004

2. Tillman had experienced a lot. He had his pick of women; he had the finest of everything. I guess, he joined the army because he was bored with life.

Tillman wanted new and better experiences. These wanted experiences were had on the battlefield. He wanted to experience what it feels like to shoot someone. He wanted a more pure and primitive life. He wanted to indulge in his primitive killer instincts. This is a common philosophical psychological pattern.

#12     Apr 23, 2004
  3. Rowenwood,

No offense to you, but perhaps Mr. Tillman just wanted to follow his brother as an Army Ranger? Perhaps he felt that, from everything this country had given to him, he wanted to give something back? Perhaps he wanted to give something to the world without asking for something in return?

Do you know what the true definition of a hero is? Here is a man that gave up the easy life so that he could pursue something that he felt would help his nation.

This man humbles us all.

May he rest in peace.

#13     Apr 23, 2004
  4. I don't know, and neither do you. Either way, I admire him for the decisions he made. Or do you?

#14     Apr 23, 2004
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Actually the reason he joined was because of 9/11. Apparently, he was in the middle of morning practice and the news about 9/11 hit. The whole team stopped to watch the news coverage. One of his former teammates said Tillman just sat there for 3 hours in silence staring at the news coverage. Then something came over him and without saying anything to his teammates or coaches he walked out of practice. A few days later his lawyer informed the Arizona Cardinals that he was leaving the team and joining the Army. He felt like it was the right thing to do at this time. He issued no further statement, he gave no interviews to the press.

A true hero. Where most of us like to talk tough on ET and pretend to be foreign policy experts, Pat took action. He actually did something about it. He turned down the money, the fame, the glory, all to do what he thought needed to be done. There was no book deal, no hollywood movie rights, no public relations stunt. There was no ulterior motive. September 11, 2001 changed him like it did a lot of us, the only difference is he did something that 99.9% of us would never do. He took the road less traveled. Pat Tillman is survived by his wife and his teammates that will never look at the game of football the same way ever again. A true American hero. God bless.

#15     Apr 23, 2004
  6. Thank you, Maverick.

#16     Apr 23, 2004
  7. I love you guys. This is so special.

#17     Apr 23, 2004
  8. rgelite

rgelite

Thank you, Maverick.

#18     Apr 23, 2004
  9. Pabst

Pabst

No man is an Island,
    intire of itselfe,
    everyman is a peece of the Continent,
    a part of the maine;
    if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea,
    Europe is the lesse,
    as well as if a Promontorie were,
    as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were;
    any mans death diminishes me,
    because I am involved in Mankinde;
    And therefore never sent to
    know for whom the bell tolls;
    It tolls for thee…
    John Dunne (1571-1631)

#19     Apr 24, 2004
  10. What about the vastly larger number of Afghans that we saved by liberating them. What about the greater freedom that millions of Afghans enjoy today, including millions of women who are finally getting an education. And most important, what about the right of the US to defend itself from a "government" that was harboring a terrorist group that attacked us many times, more and more effectively, and that was working on gaining WMDs (with the leading scientists that created the Pakistan nuke program)

How did we create the Taliban? We funded an anti-Soviet group that ended up breaking up into multiple groups. We funded what BECAME the Taliban no more than we funded the Northern Alliance and other groups. And what separated the Taliban in power over the Northern Alliance and others wasn't the resources they'd gained from the US long before, it was the support they received from Pakistan. So stop with your ultra-leftist, knee-jerk reaction nonsense that, unfortunately, is too common in chit-chat message boards where angry, ranting idiots like yourself just talk out of your ass all over the boards.

#20     Apr 24, 2004