Ex-Engineer Turn Trader

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ozzy, Aug 3, 2005.

Please list your former engineering degree before the switch

1. Comp Eng

30 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. Elec Eng

28 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. Mechanical Eng

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Industrial Eng

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Chemical Eng

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Materials Eng

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ozzy

ozzy

Sure why not. The idea of Materials Engineering is interesting but the classes are extremely dry. The problem with engineering now a days is that most of the creativity is no longer there. It has bascially become "cut and paste" unless your doing cutting edge stuff, which most are not.

I've decided my new title will be trader/booty-ologist.

:D

#21     Aug 3, 2005
  2. ozzy

ozzy

Ok:

enough fooling around for today. I'm making my coast to coast migration tomorrow, east ===> west. I need to start packing and stop procrastinating.

Good Luck trading everyone.

Peace Out.
    ozzy

#22     Aug 3, 2005
  3. ozzy, where are you moving to out west? I'm moving to socal the end of this year and I'm heading out to LA in 2 weeks to go check it out.

#23     Aug 3, 2005
  4. I enjoyed the two matierals engineering courses I took, but I guess I'm weird like that. One was just a hundred level MatE course and the other was a graduate level "Introduction to Composite Materials" course.

If not making money wasn't a problem, I'd still be in school going after another degree, but I like money so I'm working two jobs and trading.

#24     Aug 3, 2005
  5. ozzy

ozzy

I'm gonna live in the coastal mountains (whistler) for a month or so and then I'm moving to North Van to set up shop. If I can get things going over the next 2-3 years than the plan is to move to europe.

#25     Aug 3, 2005
  6. Choad

Choad

Electrical Engineers RAAAAWWWWKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26     Aug 3, 2005
  7. I was -actually i am still a software engineer. I am just a part time trader and still hold my full time job.
    I found my background very helpful for my trading. I am sure i wouldn't have made it if i wasn't that analytical and good software programmer. I am not saying that you have to be analytical or programmer to be a good trader, but for me that's what worked.
    They keep saying in here that you can't be successful unless you blow up 1,2,...x times, and it takes few years before you can become successful but i disagree.
    I would say that i become successful after 5 months without ever blowing up. I 've been trading for a little over 2 years, I had no idea what a trade was 2 years ago.
    After 4 or 5 months of random trading where i lost money but didn't blow up my account, I became quite successful and just had one bad month since then. I am on my 20th month now, and what i lost in tha month was a little over what I made in average in a month.
    I am by no means making millions but I am making more than in my Software engineering job.
    I am keeping my day job because i like what i am doing and keeps me from becoming emotional about my trades.
    Good luck to you beginers like me, i truly believe that you can make it.
    Good trading!

#27     Aug 3, 2005
  8. Self proclaimed "financial mechanics" engineer... if that counts. :)

#28     Aug 3, 2005
  9. I dont' post much but I'll chime in. I got a degree in mechanical engineering. Graduated five years ago, worked for an options market making firm for a few years, went on my own about 18 months ago and have been doing well for about the last 6 months or so. (I am a pure speculator) I have mixed feelings about engineers turned speculators. It was definitely great preparation for the arb - floor trading mentality that was my old job , but I think there are pluses and minuses if you are to become a discretionary, speculative trader. I think the downside is that they tend to lock themselves into opinions - often in many mathematical problems there is only one solution, hence they can have a tough time admitting their calculations or predictions were wrong when it comes to a particular trade. The good thing is that they do tend to be cold, calculating, emotionless machines - with faces as indifferent as the cold hard steel they used to work on.

#29     Aug 3, 2005
  10. where is computer science/software engineering?

#30     Aug 4, 2005