Ex-Engineer Turn Trader

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ozzy, Aug 3, 2005.

Please list your former engineering degree before the switch

1. Comp Eng

30 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. Elec Eng

28 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. Mechanical Eng

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Industrial Eng

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Chemical Eng

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Materials Eng

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ozzy

ozzy

Ripley,

we must be twins! (both in very similar situations, around the same age and EE backgrounds)

Born to trade

ozzy

#11     Aug 3, 2005
  2. Oh man.. That is just how I felt from the very beginning.

I couldn't put that book down. It was titled "SOES bandits and how they changed Wall Street forever" or something like that.

That is the first book I finished within like 2 days, and I have read a lot more books (only related to trading of course!!!)

#12     Aug 3, 2005
  3. Ozzy - I recommend that you forsake all knowledge of linear system theory, and start observing and stalking the market as if it were an animal in the wild (or better, as if it were a woman in a bar at Saturday midnight). The market may not be mathematical, but it is algorithmical. Or at least, rhymical. - Al

#13     Aug 3, 2005
  4. ozzy

ozzy

I like the hunter/prey analogy. Currently I feel like a hyena who constantly watches the lions eat. Slowly I'm getting thinner and thinner. :)

I understand your point that engineers are too analytical and think too much. But I am the complete opposite, ie not your normal engineer. I have other problems that I have to overcome, I know what they are. It's just going to take some time to fix them.

ozz ** when's my turn to eat going to come :confused: **

#14     Aug 3, 2005
  5. I feel left out... Software Engineer... Its a big biz too Oz.... dang... darn... awShucks... durnit... dam gumit...

:(

cj...

If You Have The Vision We Have The Code

#15     Aug 3, 2005
  6. I'm an EE because my Dad is an EE. I always had an interest in stocks and wanted to be a stockbroker but my parents(ie my dad) wouldn't allow it. Said if he is paying for college, I have to try engineering. After I got in, I hated it but I didn't want to be a quiter so I sucked it up and graduated. I see going to school and becomming an engineer as something I had to do and trading as something I want to do. I've just started trading live since july 1st.

#16     Aug 3, 2005
  7. ozzy

ozzy

Sorry Edge. Everyone who is computer scientist ..... whoooops software engineer can also vote.

:D :D :D

o zeeeeeeee

#17     Aug 3, 2005
  8. The scavenger analogy is a good one, IMO. There are many times during the day when the lambs bleat and the lions retreat and there are opportunities for the ravens.

#18     Aug 3, 2005
  9. ozzy

ozzy

Nice Casper,

Doing something you don't want to do is a quality not found in our generation. With that being said, I am a big believer that your work should be something which you enjoy, otherwise your swimming against the current.

Best Wishes

#19     Aug 3, 2005
  10. I got an engineering degree from a business school, does that count?

Probably would have done materials or mechanical if I was going for a pure engineering major.

#20     Aug 3, 2005