Ex-Engineer Turn Trader

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ozzy, Aug 3, 2005.

Please list your former engineering degree before the switch

1. Comp Eng

30 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. Elec Eng

28 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. Mechanical Eng

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Industrial Eng

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Chemical Eng

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Materials Eng

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ozzy

ozzy

Hi All:

I'm curious to see how many engineers switched careers to become traders. Please feel free to post when you switched, how long you have been trading and your level of sucess (this is optional).

ozzy (EE)

edit: Ok I knew I forgot a few. Civil, Aerospace, Engineering Physics. Sorry Guys. You can post on the thread and I can compile the numbers at the end.

2. In fact, an engineering background made it harder to trade in some ways. Engineers tend to see too much.

3. ozzy

ozzy

I have to agree with you. I've seen some very good engineers who are awful traders. It's not a rule but a trend I have noticed.

4. I'd say background in economics makes it harder to trade in some ways. Economists tend to see too little.

5. ozzy

ozzy

Personally I think some engineers would be extremely succesful in the finance industry (not daytrading). I've been around some incredible minds over the years and I have to say, If I ran a hedge fund I would be after them like no tomorrow.

6. If you want to see an engineer turned trader, go take a seat in the ET chat and watch Nitro mentally masturbate over each tick and its many permutations.

7. Ozzy - You are NEVER an EX-engineer. It is like being an "ex"-con. I have tried for years to get my wife to describe me as a management consultant, but somehow "engineer" always slips out of her mouth. But contrary to the generally received opinion here, I think it was a good background. I have found the ability to think through algorithms and boundary conditions, and to code quickly, to be particulary helpful. Plus, we tend to be cold fish, and that makes us less emotional traders, I think. - Al

8. ozzy

ozzy

Albert,

You have some very good points and I agree with them all. . I became and EE mainly because my dad was a EE (PhD). I realized a few years back that engineering is not for me. Hopefully the analytical/programming will come into play in the future. Currently, I'm 100% discretionary and it has not been going so good.

ozzy

:)

9. Dang.

So many Ex-engineers.

I was an EE major till I ran into a Day Trading book in the summer of my sophomore year.

Hasn't really looked back ever since...

10. ozzy

ozzy

Too Funny!

I sensed the (engineer) force in him with his yes/no answers.

#10     Aug 3, 2005