Ex-Californian Thread:

Discussion in 'Economics' started by lolatency, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Familiarity breeds contempt.

#31     Feb 22, 2009
  2. The Village of Sherman Oaks. And the Palisades and Moorpark and Summerland

Winters in SoCal can not be beat.

#32     Feb 22, 2009
  3. Pita Kitchen?

#33     Feb 23, 2009
  4. Matter of fact ...yes. They make a pretty good plate. :D

#34     Feb 23, 2009
  5. Cutten

Cutten

Meanwhile someone just as smart, talented and hard-working is compounding at a far higher annual rate of return because he lives in a low-tax jurisdiction. He or she can then invest the capital gained by those higher lifetime returns into various productive enterprise. Higher tax leaves those potential projects stillborn, DOA, and thus the people who would have done satisfying and useful work on them as employees are also denied opportunity. Now multiply that effect across the whole of productive society. What are you going to do about that?

Exploitation and oppression does not cease to have an effect just because by working harder or better you can still have a relatively decent standard of living or achievement. Society as a whole cannot magically conjure extra productive effort out of thin air, even if you like to imagine yourself a special individual who can.

#35     Feb 23, 2009
  6. Humpy

Humpy

Recently Arnie has been advertising Cali here in Europe !

We would just love to send all our wackoes, liberals, dropouts, Charlie Manson wannabees etc etc.

Whats more they would love to go

Fit in nicely by the sound of things now

Honest, hardworking folk seem to be yesterday's people

#36     Feb 23, 2009
  7. Yum...only once a week at most for me...too much food...

Quattro Stagioni pizza at Spumoni is great...
    Koraku house special Ramen soup is amazing...
    Not too crazy about the sushi in the area...could be better...

#37     Feb 23, 2009
  8. I echo your sentiments exactly.

#38     Feb 23, 2009
  9. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

Born and raised here, so I suppose I don't really know any better........but I do kinda like the fact that from I live I can surf in the morning at a world class break, and be on some world clsss slopes by lunch....while my home remains in the warm sunshine and my kid is outside playing.

i guess i'm one of the lucky ones because i bought my house in the 90s, and the value is still a little more then 2x what i paid. there are 10 zip codes in Nor Cal that actually gained (slight) or remained flat in the last 3 months.

my wife tried to get me to move back east years ago to be near her family....i'm glad we never did.

#39     Feb 24, 2009
  10. While you point to the OBVIOUS in regards to social entitlements, what you fail to touch upon is the amount of the State Budget that is untouchable, and has to do with state and local government employee PENSIONS!!!

For example, safety personnel can now retire with 90% or more of their highest salaries at age 50.

Think GM and Ford, but on the level of the world's 8th largest Economy.

#40     Mar 16, 2009