Ex-Californian Thread:

Discussion in 'Economics' started by lolatency, Feb 22, 2009.

1. You need to have a much better understanding of the Constitution and Bill of Rights, not too mention recent laws passed by Congress in regards to illegal immigrants and their "rights".

California pays financially and socially for the burden of illegal immigration because the FEDS do nothing about changing the laws, or better yet Congress choosing to enforce the Fourteenth Amendment that is already in the Constitution.

http://www.14thamendment.us/birthright_citizenship/consequences.html

Yet you mistakenly and ignorantly blame liberalism in California for its budgetary problems. You really need to do some homework on the immigration issue.

#21     Feb 22, 2009
  2. Cesko

Cesko

What a crap.
    So basically you want to "help economy" by growing manufacturing sector again? NEWS FLASH. It's been growing for at least 20 years.

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2008/03/increases-in-productivity-have-caused.html

You have to get past political headlines to realize that. It's not exactly news. Or maybe what you mean is growing by number of people involved in manufacturing? Then let's forget how things get manufactured today and go back 50 years. How about to go back to agriculture? Those were considered "real jobs" 100 years ago.

I love this crap about manufacturing. By click of the mouse you can get all the fucking data. Nobody bothers yet every body knows.

U.S. MANUFACTURING SECTOR STILL PRODUCES 1.7 TIMES MORE THAN FREAKING CHINA FOR GOD SAKE.

#22     Feb 22, 2009
  3. Only 1.7 times so it is like 70% more?

Himm, with the growth rate in China and shrinking rate in the USA, that means they will pass in 5-6 years

#23     Feb 22, 2009
  4. gnome

gnome

"I wish they all could be California girls"... Nobody's making an issue of the women, the climate, the scenic beauty...

#24     Feb 22, 2009
  5. Congratulations Cesko.
    You are even more dense than I first thought. Your lack of reading comprehension is absolutely staggering.

The point is that Consumer Spending has been running at two-thirds of GDP, and not surprisingly consumer credit card debt has risen right along with it. The consumer is done for quite awhile, thus the "slack" will have to be picked-up by other sectors if our countries GDP is to grow again.

Any growth in the nation's Economy will have to come from either Government spending ( defense, infrastructure, etc.) or Manufacturing.

If the idiots in Congress would change the tax code to stimulate the purchase of capital equipment with more generous allowances for writing-off interest expense, the Manufacturing sector's contribution to GDP could be a whole lot STRONGER than it is now - - - the 50% decline in the dollar during the previous Administration notwithstanding.

On another note, this would also help to support our ability to EXPORT.

Newflash to Cesko . . .

This year, U.S. exports will register their worst performance since 1958: -6.6%, compared with 12% growth in 2008.

#25     Feb 22, 2009

6. May I ask which neighborhood that is? I'm in San Jose CA.

#26     Feb 22, 2009
  7. new$

new$

I miss: Going to sleep to the rhythms of the Dana Point fog buoy on a foggy night.
    Going for a morning walk around Newport Beach Harbor.
    The stark beauty of the Channel Islands from Montecito the morning after a front
    has cleared the view.
    Some of the best waterfront restruants in the world.
    The youth, money and freedom I had when I moved there in the late 70’s.

I don’t miss: the traffic.
    The wasting of areas that were once middle class.
    The fact that the majority in Los Angeles was not born in the US and could
    care less what its constitution, laws or traditions are.
    It’s the largest market in the US without an NFL team, but the Mexican
    National Soccer team will draw 100,000.
    The exodus since the 1990’s of some of the nicest people in the world.

:(

#27     Feb 22, 2009
  8. Omega

Omega

#28     Feb 22, 2009
  9. 1.) As indicated on another California thread, the newly passed budget allows for a PERMANENT $1 BILLION dollar corporate tax break - - - directed mostly at multi-state and multinational companies that do business in California.

It is an incentive for business to EXPAND operations in California; or at least not leave.

2.) Allow for the immediate writing-off of interest expense (as opposed to over the life of the equipment) when purchasing capital equipment and you will see a huge boom in the manufacturing sector. Ever wonder why there has been such a huge amount of growth in the financial service industry? One of the reasons is just this favorable tax treatment.

3.) I would suggest that California has an infinitely more educated worker pool to draw from than Nevada.

#29     Feb 22, 2009
  10. Omega

Omega

We live in Sacramento.

While I don't question your CNN study, I can tell you California is on the brink because you have 'entitlement babies' and 'providers'.

'Providers' USED to far outnumber the 'Entitlement Babies'. However, when you continually have as many social programs as California, and continue to tax the shit out of the 'Providers', pretty soon they either leave, or become 'Enititlement Babies' themselves.

This can not be disputed. It is happening.

If you honestly think this state is headed for brighter times, then gimme some of what yer smokin', cuz it is some good shit my man.

OMEGA

#30     Feb 22, 2009