Evolution - A Weak Argument for the Anti-Supernatural?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShoeshineBoy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Well, there's a reason I say "spiritual". Because often these objects do things that are physically impossible: travel at high speeds and turn instantaneous corners. Often there are legitimate sightings with "energy bursts" where trees/brush is flattened. So, for lack of a better term, I say "spiritual" because I mean it is not a physical space ship coming from another planet. Otherwise, by now, we would have some kind of physical evidence that some farmer in Uzbekhistan would have picked up...

#51     Nov 28, 2007
  2. Please let me stop you right there. I'll leave the imaginings to you. Anyway, thanks for the chat.

#52     Nov 28, 2007
  3. This is simply not true. Again, this is why they are searching for multiple universes so desperately.

Here's the real situation:

1. This universe came out perfectly tuned for life.
    2. Quantum-based materialist solutions have not panned out as feasible.
    3. This leaves materialist scientists with only one hope at this time: the idea that there are a vast number of universe and ours just happens to be the one with parameters/constants/coefficients tuned for life.

But #3 would not even be necessary if #1 were not true. Nobody would even be worried about #3 otherwise.

#53     Nov 28, 2007
  4. Likewise...Didn't mean to be overly aggressive. I was just trying to express where I was coming from.

#54     Nov 28, 2007
  5. For someone who claims to "love science," this post is shockingly ignorant.

Number of universities by country:
    1 India 8,407
    2 United States 5,758
    3 Argentina 1,705
    4 Spain 1,415
    5 Mexico 1,341
    6 Bangladesh 1,268
    7 Indonesia 1,236
    8 Japan 1,223
    9 France 1,062
    10 China 1,054

I don't know what your definition of "lab" is, but if it is the same as mine, I would say there are probably at least dozens of labs in each university. That means there are probably millions of labs all around the world. This is not counting industrial labs and national labs. How many people are sitting around these labs? As one example, Los Alamos National Labs has 20,000 employees. Granted not all of them are scientists but still, "A few hundred?" You've got to be kidding!

#55     Nov 28, 2007
  6. Can you stop saying things that are plain wrong? Hint: If you don't know something, don't comment on it.

#56     Nov 28, 2007
  7. Oh, if only you would take your own advice. Shoeshine boys logic was impeccable and the only people who disagree are the same people who say that global warming caused by humans is an "undeniable fact" agreed upon by "all scientists".

#57     Nov 28, 2007
  8. Um, I think your explanation is incorrect, but I'll hold my tongue until I've had an opportunity to check with a couple of well-respected high-energy/theoretical physicists. Stay tuned...

#58     Nov 28, 2007
  9. that (your statement) is just fucked up

if you have ever been to a university you will know that university labs are anything but research labs

for fucks sake, for fucks sake, those of you who have not been to university, try to understand, or at least research to see what universities are about, before you talk about them, they are hardly about innovation and intelligence, they are about memorizing and repeating, students are nothing but monkeys and parrots that repeat what their professors have learned to and teach to repeat

for those of you who have been to school, stop acting like you are the shit, and that you are some fucking smart bitch just for going to school, no one automatically becomes smart by memorizes a few technical phrases

#59     Nov 28, 2007
  10. Other nonsensical statements made by ShoeshineBoy aside, this one below is completely wrong and tells what kind of belief he has (ie, anti-science rather than "love science"):
    It's obvious that your definition of "impeccable logic" contains neither.

#60     Nov 28, 2007