Evidences that support the reliability of the Bible

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by studentofthemarkets, Aug 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

In fact they are given more play than they should in science classrooms. What about the Hindu version of creation or the yazidi version or even the spaghetti monster?

#51     Sep 5, 2020
  2. tomorton wrote: "But in the west at least there is no widespread suppression of Christian and Creationist ideas. Even if they are wrong in evidentiary terms."

Expiated's experience in his first statement below, of his experience of witnessing "time and again how those who have stated that biblical accounts are not supported by history have often had to "eat their words" as new historical documents and artifacts have been discovered or uncovered which proved otherwise" is similar to my own experience.

Expiated also commented that "virtually all of the science books produced by today’s main textbook publishers—not to mention the general public and even many scientists—are not aware of decades of research in evolutionary science, molecular biology and genome sequencing which contradict Darwin’s explanations for how novel organisms have originated in the long history of life on earth."

Why are so many students and most of their science teachers unaware of contradictions with Darwin's explanations? Because there is active suppression of anything that threatens it or substantiates the need for a Creator.

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/problems-with-conventional-evolutionary-theory.348054/
    If what you wrote is true, "But in the west at least there is no widespread suppression of Christian and Creationist ideas," then how can you explain the experience of my friend who is a science professor at a public university who cannot openly share scientific evidences that he is aware of that contradict the Theory of Evolution and point to the necessity of a Creator? He has shared that he would lose his job if he did teach that information.

And how do you explain the documentary below that exposes several cases of similar suppression?

#52     Sep 5, 2020
    expiated likes this.
  3. Sig

Sig

A bunch of massive problems with logic, yet again. The fact that our current theories of the origin of life aren't proven and have potential issues isn't a reason to reject them in any way, it's proof that the scientific method is working as intended. All theories, from the theory of gravity to the theory of evolution are constantly being tested, problems are constantly found, and thesis are modified based on that testing and discovery. To describe that as a reason to reject science displays only woeful ignorance of the scientific method. By the way, everything you've said could equally be said about the theories of plate tectonics, the theories of gravity, partical theory....yes everything we as the scientifically educated believe to be true we also believe to be an imperfect theory that will inevitably be refined and possibly even shown to be entirely incorrect.
    The biggest problem I have, however, is when you make the massive logical leap from "there's a problem with evolutionary theory and I think it makes more sense that everything was created" is that even if your assertion was true, it does nothing but support an agnostic vice atheistic view, one that almost everyone who isn't religious holds already. There's nothing to support why we shouldn't have eaten shellfish or pigs or why it was OK to sell your daughter into slavery at one point, or why we have to hate two men or two women engaging in civil marriage and advocate for the right to discriminate against them, or why you have to be married before having sex or any of the other aspects of the fundamentalist religion that they try to impose on the rest of the world. Nothing to say that any of the thousands of other religions that have existed over time are wrong and yours is right. Absolutely nothing to support that your Bible, itself full of unexplained contradictions and pure evil, should be taken as the literal word of this creator to be taken 100% literally. So again, who exactly do you think you're going to convince to become a fundamentalist with the argument that current evolution theory may be flawed? As I said before, I think your only real audience you're trying to convince is yourself?

And by the way, speaking of rank hypocrisy that is endemic to fundamentalism, you seem very concerned about the concept that a scientist might lose his job for rejecting the scientific method and teaching creation instead. Would your pastor, or the pastor of any fundamentalist church, lose their job if they started teaching evolution? Are you equally willing to shed crocodile tears over that? If you're not, you've pretty much lost any shred of credibility you might have left.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    #53     Sep 5, 2020
  4. expiated

expiated

From a blog I wrote in January of 2014…

It is my understanding that during the summer of 2013 the President of Ball State University in Indiana not only prohibited faculty from expressing support for intelligent design, but also banned science professors from even discussing it in their classes. In seeking clues for her motivation, consider that the university did however choose to sponsor an honors seminar on "Dangerous Ideas" in which the sole textbook declared "Science Must Destroy Religion" and "There is no…higher purpose to our lives."

Another example is a community college in Texas that cancelled a philosophy course on the debate over Darwinism and intelligent design, also in 2013, because it was intimidated by a group promising to disrupt the class if it was offered, allowing angry atheists to censor intellectual inquiry on their campus.

Teachers, students and scientists are being persecuted and harassed when and if they muster the courage to speak the truth. Do we need academic freedom legislation to help protect them from such intimidation? Will the thought-police be allowed to win the debate over intelligent design by promoting ignorance? This kind of "hijacking" of discussion, communication and consideration results in bad science, a clueless public and a darkened society.

Also, from what I understood to be the case in February of 2018, Wikipedia recently (at that time) erased the highly distinguished German paleontologist Günter Bechly’s English Wikipedia page because he came out in favor of intelligent design.

But what I REALLY wanted to cite was a televised interview in which a supervisor flat out lied, on camera, about not suppressing scientific evidence of intelligent design. Unfortunately, despite making a concerted effort, I can no longer find it anywhere on the Web. (It was an extremely impactful clip.)

#54     Sep 5, 2020
    studentofthemarkets likes this.
  5. Sig

Sig

Fundamentalists are being "persecuted and harassed when and if they muster the courage to speak the truth" if that goes against fundamentalist orthodoxy. They're fired from their jobs if they work for a church, they're ostracized by their former fellow congregants and even their families even if they were just members of the church. You've almost certainly seen it happen personally with people who come out as gay, I certainly saw it at my church and am ashamed to say I didn't speak out. Have you? Your stories are actually not even true (https://www.insidehighered.com/news...spite-allegations-he-pushed-creationism-class), that's why you can't find references for the. Fundamentalist pastors and devotees tend to exaggerate these to the point of fabrication, and your own biases lead your memory to potentially exaggerate them even more, which is a far more rational explanation than some nefarious source that scrubs the entire internet of something you vaguely remember so it must be true.

But even if they were, the fact that you don't see the blatant hypocrisy of criticising a science program that insists it's teachers actually teach science but have no problem with religious employers insisting their employees teach creationism, or hating gay marriage, for example, shows how blinded you are by the cult you're a part of. I'll ask you as well, when in the history of the universe has hypocrisy changed a single mind in the direction of the hypocrite? On the other hand, you are doing a great job driving people away from your beliefs, so there's that.

#55     Sep 5, 2020
  6. So far I haven't posted much on Archaeological evidences that support the Biblical story, except for the first video on this thread. It's my intention to eventually have many links to such evidences posted here. Recently I came across this discovery of "a gate-shrine from the First Temple period (eighth century BCE) in what archaeologists perceive as compelling evidence of King Hezekiah’s efforts to abolish worship there."

I added bold lettering for emphasis.
    http://www.antiquities.org.il/Article_eng.aspx?sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=4221

According to the Minister of Jerusalem and Heritage and Environmental Protection, MK Ze’ev Elkin,
    “The fascinating new discovery at Tel Lachish is a typical example whereby excavations and further research of heritage sites show us time and time again how biblical tales that are known to us become historical and archaeological stories. This discovery, is an illuminating example of the verse that described King Hezekiah: “He removed the high places,smashed the sacred stonesand cut down the Asherah poles…” (II Kings 18:4). Before our very eyes these new finds become the biblical verses themselves and speak in their voice. We in the Ministry of Jerusalem and Heritage will continue to lead the effort whereby as many Israelis as possible will be exposed to the enthralling experience of ancient stones that speak to us of the Bible in their own unique voice”.​

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    #56     Sep 6, 2020
  7. %%
    Faith is the title deed.Hebrews 11;1.
    For those that ever owned real estate; a title deed is also real + all the renters in the world can not change that...……………………………………………………………………………….

#57     Sep 6, 2020
  8. tomorton

tomorton

You are not being suppressed here are you? Surely the forum allows you to put across your ideas with impunity.

Of course, if you are paid to teach by a university or college or school, then you must expect them to have an interest in what you teach. If you are recruited as a teacher of German, you cannot expect the employer to allow you to teach their students chemistry. Your friend has the usual choices open to any employee - take the salary - or not.

#58     Sep 7, 2020
  9. tomorton

tomorton

As far as scientific support for the Bible is concerned this is basically irrelevant to Christian faith. If you have faith you don't need scientific proof, and if you demand scientific proof, then you exclude faith.

#59     Sep 7, 2020
  10. Wallet

Wallet

The reality is that if God miraculously intervened in most people’s lives, made Himself personally known, the vast majority of people would still turn their backs on God and deny Him ..... Mankind’s heart is sinful and rebellious.

#60     Sep 7, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.