Evidences that support the reliability of the Bible

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by studentofthemarkets, Aug 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In this thread I plan on providing evidences that support the reliability of the Bible from many differest aspects....internal and textual evidences, theological and also archeological evidences that give credibility to the biblical record.

For now, I’m trying to get together some of the evidences that Young Earth Creation scientists have that say there is scientific evidence that can be interpreted to favor a recent global flood such as “Noah’s flood” as described in Genesis and a young earth.

I’m not claiming to be an authority in this area. I have gone to many conferences and studied this for fun for a while and I think I can put together some resources that will present the mainstream YEC scientists views. There are Christians who believe the Bible that don’t accept these views. And, of course, these views are not accepted at all by scientists who believe the Theory of Evolution. However, the YEC scientists who have studied these things are saying that they do believe the evidence lies in their favor.

It's not difficult at all to find evolutionists who present arguments against the YEC view. A simple google search brings up plenty of information. However, YEC scientists have examined many (most?) of the objections, yet still believe the evidence supports their position.

I’m not trying to debate the matter (in this thread). I just want to present the evidence YEC scientists have found so that people understand WHAT the evidence is and have a better informed view of what Christians believe when we say there is evidence of a recent global flood that we think is best explained by the story of the global flood recorded in Genesis.

I believe the Bible was inspired by God, is trustworthy, reliable and our only source of truth. That is why I am willing to say that when Genesis records a flood that covered every mountain and killed all the animals and people that were not in the ark, I believe that it happened.

#21     Aug 22, 2020
  2. John H. Whitmore
    • Ph.D. in Biology with Paleontology emphasis, Loma Linda University
    • M.S. in Geology, Institute for Creation Research
    • B.S. in Geology, Kent State University
    has written the following article "Young Earth Flood Geology in the Grand Canyon."

https://digitalcommons.cedarville.e...&context=science_and_mathematics_publications

I added the bold lettering for emphasis:

Over the next few years, I learned that conventional geology did not have very good answers for some of the patterns in the rock record, but Genesis did! For example, why weren’t there transitional fossils that demonstrated evolution from one group of animals to another? And why were there marine rocks on the continents almost everywhere I looked? And why did the fossil record begin all at once, with hardly any life-forms in the layers of rock below? As a young geologist, I learned that the Grand Canyon is not only one of the most spectacular geological wonders of the world, but its rocks are a great place to test the Genesis account of earth history. I found key impactful evidence that led me to believe the veracity of the Genesis account of world history.

"The Great Unconformity rests directly below the rocks that contain the fossils of the Cambrian Explosion, or the first appearance of complex animals in the rock record. Among the fossil remains found in these layers are representatives of nearly every single phylum of animals on earth today, including the vertebrates! There are no animal fossils below The Great Unconformity (or below the Cambrian) that show the evolutionary predecessors to these organisms. Below the unconformity we find fossil bacteria, and immediately above, we find fossils of nearly every complex group of animals that we have today. This continues to be one of the most difficult problems for the theory of evolution — how did these animals originate? Again, Genesis seems to offer a solution: These organisms are the animals that were living on earth just before the flood. As the flood started, “billions of dead things became buried in rock layers all over the earth,” as Ken Ham likes to say. This is why animals suddenly appear in these rock layers, not because they rapidly evolved, but because they were buried by the encroaching flood waters."

#22     Aug 22, 2020
  3. stu

stu

That's what's so tragic about the guy.
    There absolutely are not any scientific reasons for accepting a 'young earth'. Scientific reasons are so opposite to "young earth" it beggars belief how he could claim such a thing.
    He's making dotty speculations driven by pre-determined religious conclusion in preference to hard factual scientific knowledge.
    He's a scientist who has openly stated his religious ideas will not allow science to influence him. A shame to see him discredit himself like that.
    An example of a religious mind virus if there ever was one.

When you reject evolution you reject science. End of story.

You believe a non-scientific book of imaginary, supernatural fables is your source of truth.
    So how come you feel the need to even mention science at all?

[​IMG]

#23     Aug 24, 2020
  4. Sig

Sig

You don't even have to look outside the Bible itself to find all the evidence you need of its lack of reliability. For example, if the Bible is unerringly true and 100% accurate, perhaps you could help me out and let me know what Jesus' last words were?

#24     Aug 26, 2020

5. I don’t know of any contradictions in the Bible. A contradiction would be two scenarios that can’t both be right. There are some copying errors, but none of those errors are significant and none of them relate to any significant doctrines. For example, in the Old Testament, Solomon is recorded as having 4,000 stalls for his horses in one place and 40,000 in another place. What I believe is that the original documents were correct but occasional, minor scribal errors have occurred when copies were made. None of these textual errors affect the overall meaning of any passage and none of them affect doctrinal issues. The following article discusses mistakes in copies of the Bible and makes it clear that the copying errors are minor:

What about the Mistakes in the Various Copies of the Bible?

There Is No Doctrine of Scripture or Any Command Threatened by a Variation in the Text

It must be stressed that no doctrine of Scripture, nor any command to believers, is threatened by a variant reading. The manuscript variations do not materially affect the meaning of the text. Inerrancy is not affected by errors in copies copied from the original. This is not an issue.https://www.blueletterbible.org/Com...hat-about-mistakes-in-copies-of-the-bible.cfm

There are no contradictions with Jesus’ last words. For there to be a contradiction one of the passages would need to specifically state that it recorded the “only” last words Jesus spoke at his death, and no other words were spoken at the time of his death. Then, if there was a discrepancy between two accounts, we would have reason to believe there was a contradiction. However, the gospels do not make that claim. The following verses contain Jesus' words that were spoken around the time of His death:

“About the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” 47 And some of those who were standing there, when they heard it, began saying, “This man is calling for Elijah.” 48 Immediately one of them ran, and taking a sponge, he filled it with sour wine and put it on a reed, and gave Him a drink. 49 But the rest of them said, “Let us see whether Elijah will come to save Him.” 50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit.” Matthew 20:18-29 NASB

“And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit.” Having said this, He breathed His last.” Luke 23:46 NASB

“Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.” John 19:30 NASB

A thorough explanation on Jesus’ last words can be found here: https://veritasdomain.wordpress.com...tradiction-what-were-the-last-words-of-jesus/

What's amazing is that with all the scholars that have tried to find contradictions within the Bible to prove it's unreliability, that none can be found that are genuine contradictions. There is a reasonable explanation for every supposed contradiction.

What's also amazing is that even though there might be a few places that are difficult to understand, the majority of the writings of scripture overwhelmingly harmonize to form a reliable and consistent message.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    #25     Aug 27, 2020
  6. Sig

Sig

Are you actually able to do the basic reading comprehension thing?
    “And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit.” Having said this, He breathed His last.” Luke 23:46 NASB
    The bolding is mine to emphasize that clearly the verse indicates these were the last words of Jesus.
    But wait....
    “Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.” John 19:30 NASB
    or NIV
    "When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit."
    and I could go on and on with different translations that all make it clear that those were his last words. But completely different words that were supposedly his last words according to Luke 23:46. I'm not sure how anyone could be so willfully blind to what those two passages so clearly say.
    Not that I'm surprised, everyone in the fundamentalist church I was raised in was willfully blind to that contradiction and not a single one of them could come up with a better answer than yours, usually with a topping of reprimand that I should dare use my intelligence to question "God's word" no matter how irrational it was. Hence I'm no longer a fundamentalist, once I was old enough to think for myself this and dozens of other internal contradictions were reason enough to leave, if not the observable fact that all the fundamentalis I knew seemed to fall into the camp of below average intellect or pure evil that used the church for power.

#26     Aug 27, 2020
  7. vinc

vinc

#27     Aug 27, 2020
  8. 08-28-2020 Possible order of Jesus' last sayings.jpg

#28     Aug 29, 2020
  9. 08-28-2020 Possible order of Jesus' last sayings with arrows without verses below.jpg

#29     Aug 29, 2020
  10. "A contradiction occurs when two (or more) different statements on a topic cannot both be true at the same time and in the same sense. For instance, let's look at the statements "I am walking my dog," and "I am not walking my dog." Both statements cannot both be true at the same time and in the same way. They are mutually exclusive. However, the following is not a contradiction: "Bob saw two people get out of the 1967 black Camaro," and "Frank saw three people get out of the 1967 black Camaro." These statements are not mutually exclusive because both statements can be true at the same time. Bob may have been at an angle where he was only able to see two people, where Frank could have been at a different angle where he was able to see three people. Both statements can be true at the same time and in the same sense without excluding the other."https://carm.org/what-is-a-contradiction

The accounts in the gospels of Jesus' death and resurrection are reliable. Any apparent contradictions suggested by skeptics can be reasonably explained. Actually, the fact that there are differing, yet complimentary details throughout the gospels that give a harmonious presentation of Jesus as the promised Messiah and Savior is one reason to believe that the accounts were based on real events.

#30     Aug 29, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.