everyone please read! RE: THE MODERATING/BANNING/CENSORSHIP

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Gordon Gekko, Aug 26, 2003.

1. this post is not an attack on any individual. i just want people to think about their current beliefs.

i will start off with what i believe is an EXCELLENT point by bundlemaker:
    think about this! OF ALL PEOPLE, TRADERS SHOULD THINK TWICE ABOUT POPULAR OPINION! if anyone should question the beliefs of the majority, it is a trader! just because a lot of people want to ban people and want posts edited/deleted, DOES THAT MAKE IT THE RIGHT CHOICE? i for one do NOT think a post should be deleted, a thread should be closed, or a person banned just because they get a lot of complaints. this majority rules system, when the majority is not always right, makes me wonder about voting/elections based on the most votes. now that i think about it, maybe presidents should be elected by the most intelligent people in our country. maybe only scientists should determine nasa's budget, etc. ok, i'm getting off topic...

here is a good point by dawg:
    and last but not least, a great post by me:
    my point is, i don't care how many people want people banned, want "bad words" deleted, or want threads closed. not everyone operates on the same beliefs. therefore, i think each individual should decide for themself what they want to read, instead of some moderater's beliefs affecting everyone else. if an ET member swares a lot and you don't like that, put them on ignore. if you don't like jack's threads, don't click on them. why can't everyone do this?!

i know this is not Baron's policy, but i just want to make people think about it.

2. It is easy to complain about moderating when you *DON'T* see the amount of trash that gets posted and cleaned up by moderators. I don't know about you, but if there was a little gremlin in my computer to moderate the spam I get each day through e-mail, I'd be more than happy to let it do its thing.

This board is pretty liberal and a lot of stuff slides, but occasionally there is blatant attacks on another user or someone trying to advertise a product and that type of stuff deserves to be deleted. If it got left around, this site would turn into a trash compost.

3. my point is, i don't care how many people want people banned, want "bad words" deleted, or want threads closed. not everyone operates on the same beliefs. therefore, i think each individual should decide for themself what they want to read, instead of some moderater's beliefs affecting everyone else. if an ET member swares a lot and you don't like that, put them on ignore. if you don't like jack's threads, don't click on them. why can't everyone do this?!

I think it is good that ET is becoming more territorial, that moderators are taking responsibility for what is posted on their forums when the individual poster does not. This is, after all, a business run for profit. I know it isn't too much to ask of me to behave in as professional a manner as possible when expressing my opinion.

4. ktm

ktm

Well said. I agree. I think the silent majority clearly support Baron and what he's trying to do to make the place enjoyable for the majority. All things considered, he's balancing this quite well, especially given the large number of assholes showing up lately.

5. You talk more than Jack and although I didn;t beleive it possible, You make less sense then him!!!!....Was jack your pimp? Did you give him lap dances in his wheelchair???