Ever thought of leaving your job? Listen to my story, pro trading behind the scenes

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by John47, May 10, 2006.

1. What kind of trader are you?
    I am in a similar position yet much younger,

With a 1.5M grubstake, you can rule the world if you trade it right.

#31     May 14, 2006
  2. duard,

here is a better question now that I think about it....

how do you go from broke in 2001 to 1.5MM in 5 yrs? I want your job....

#32     May 14, 2006
  3. duard

duard

What else, my ex-wife. It took me forever to save and make the grubstake and then I wrote a 7 figure check. Ce' lest vie.

I've been extremely lucky with my deals and am just getting back my mojo. I shoulda coulda woulda been retired...

#33     May 14, 2006
  4. gnome

gnome

Sheesh! Most of us would be happy if we could just rule the wife.

#34     May 14, 2006
  5. Sergey Brin and Page mighta started Google with much less than seven figs. Ideas rule.

#35     May 14, 2006
  6. duard

duard

I guess that's why I wrote the 7 figure check?!?

#36     May 14, 2006
  7. I was gonna say: didn't the king just say that he lost his throne...

but shit...you got a good bit back...

#37     May 14, 2006
  8. YES, please share with your father, how you feel!!! Very important. Actually we should all learn to share with all our loved ones, how we feel - in good and in bad!!

#38     May 14, 2006
  9. so how has the weather been down there in Columbia...have much jet lag??:D

#39     May 14, 2006
  10. John47

John47

If you want to do what I'm doing, i.e. get backed by a trader/group of traders and work a deal w/ your profits for the next few years, its not really as difficult as you'd think, if you are a real go getter and willing to move to chicago. Thats the key though, you gotta be near the exchanges to get the networking.

That said, I'd get a clerking job w/ somebody and talk to as many people as you can. The locals hiring process isn't like other firms...hedgies/banks want degrees, programming/analytical skills, etc...basically a similar resume that would lead to an actuarial job. Locals that'll take you under their wing want guys that are really sharp...the type that probably good poker players too. People that understand risk/reward and won't blow out, but have the cujones to take risk at the right times. Thats what its all about.

#40     May 15, 2006