Ever thought of leaving your job? Listen to my story, pro trading behind the scenes

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by John47, May 10, 2006.

1. John47

John47

thanks fellas for all the nice replies. I wanted to give an update on what I'm doing for the couple folks around here I've conversed with.

to answer a couple questions:

Overnight I trade CME products, but generally pay attention to the european markets/numbers because they're what might influence us when the U.S. isn't open. Overnight isn't as liquid and much slower, but its a good time to try stuff, get used to the markets, and sometimes put on a good position for the next day w/ less risk.

To the folks that commented on my father, traderguy who's had similar expiriences and the poster who said I should thank him....I'm planning on letting him know my thoughts. Its odd because we never had a close relationship at all, and were pretty much at odds. And him working the hell out of me for barely any cash made it worse. But now that i'm farther away, and I'm really working in a more stressful way than ever, I appreciate what he's given me. It's amazing what a 180 my thoughts about his character have done.

cheers

#21     May 11, 2006
  2. Here's my story,
    It was the early 50's and I was on a tin can off the coast of Inchon. It was the first real taste of battle I had experienced. Our mission was to guard the port and enforce the blockade. We also were tasked with transporting the marines to the hot zone. As I stood at my post, scanning the horizon for the enemy with the 1000 yard stare that left me years ago, I made myself a promise. Someday,somehow I would do something that would make me forget about this freezing hell that I was forced to endure. Fast forward 20 years, I now own a successful plumbing, heating and air business in California. One day while taking a smoke break on a residential job, I opened the match book to light the last chesterfield I had on me. On the inside cover of that matchbook was an ad for commodities trading. It asked a powerful question, "Are you happy at your job", anyway I responded and before long I was trading pork bellys, frozen oj , wheat and sugar. Over the next 25 years I would trade everything there was to trade, and after all that time I finally concluded that I was finished. I tried to retire but I got back into it last Dec. and have really been enjoying myself this time. I changed my techniques, stopped making all my own trading decisions and discovered Elite Trader which for the most part I find enjoyable.
    So after all this time, I'm going to swallow my foolish pride, get on an eastbound RV, and take a ride to Detroit city. I'm going to pickup the new Rv with my trading profits since last Dec. That's my story, still having fun.

...Rennick out

#22     May 12, 2006
  3. <<<I had placed a resume online saying I wanted to trade, and in what I can only call an honest to God miracle, it was answered. By the right people. >>>>

Great storry, but could you share with us where you placed your resume on?
    I wish it happened to me...too

#23     May 13, 2006
  4. rosy

rosy

#24     May 13, 2006
  5. John47

John47

Just monster. Thats why it was so against the odds that I get a good call. It just so happened they weren't really 'good' at searching for people, they usually hired clerks that had been in the biz, but needed another when some other people backed out.

#25     May 14, 2006
  6. duard

duard

Up a couple million. Lost everything 2001. (Not to the market) Back up to about 1.5. Have a "job", trade, invest in many vehicles not just equities or futures but real estate, metals, rentals, etc. I have alot of misgivings as to my career though. Mind you I have it good (ocean view house, hot girlfriend, nice car, good money, vacations) but I wish I went ivy league into the big league instead of home based piker. My point is go for the brass ring if you can because I'm not exactly where I wish I was in spite of "success" as measured by the masses.

#26     May 14, 2006
  7. whats a good way to get in if you can't get in through Monster John?

#27     May 14, 2006
  8. can I ask your age duard?...for the sake of envy:cool:

#28     May 14, 2006
  9. Good stories!
    John47, you will make it as long as you Believe you will.
    So very true.
    It is a battlefield and only the strongest come out better off.

#29     May 14, 2006
  10. duard

duard

41. Fortunes come and go like the wind. Do what you have passion for, cut losers in all aspects of life-- (trades, jobs, relationships, bad habits, etc.). You'll at least have fun and most will be "successful". In the end happiness is what it's all about. I suppose my angst comes from the fact that I wanted to rule the world and now at 40 I know I never will.

#30     May 14, 2006