Ever changing cycle strikes again

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by easyguru, Jun 16, 2006.

1. May 2006- Bloomberg Markets
    "The ridiculous thing, in all candor, is that I think I've had the greatest run of success in the history of speculation," Niederhoffer said.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/31/bloomberg/bxmoney.php
    June

Niederhoffer's Second Act Has Plot Twist
    By Matthew Goldstein
    Senior Writer
    6/16/2006 1:11 PM EDT
    URL: http://www.thestreet.com/markets/hedgefunds/10292247.html

The May selloff in stocks couldn't have come at a worse time for hedge fund manager Victor Niederhoffer, who's been working hard to put his infamous 1990s boom-to-bust story behind him.

In May, Niederhoffer's four-year-old Matador Fund posted one of its worst months ever, industry sources say. The fund, which specializes in trading stock futures and stock index futures, lost nearly 29% as the U.S. markets began to unravel, reducing the value of Matador's holdings to about $247 million.

As of the end of May, the so-called commodity trading adviser fund, which was once up 31% for the year, was 6% in the red since the end of December. Results for June, which is shaping up as another harsh month for investors, could not be determined.

http://www.thestreet.com/pf/markets/hedgefunds/10292247.html

2. unbelievable...

3. Jesse Livermore Junior? If a rookie lost 30% of assets under management in one month, he'd be out of the business forever.

4. reminds me of NL poker... u can be doing well for hours and hours and then one bad beat and u are wiped out (no limit).

taleb's strategy might have made a killing [?]

5. 15% Drawdown.... Accredited investors will not tolerate and bail, especially if reached in a short period of time.

6. man, and those 29% losses make up for almost all of the gains he made in 2 freakin' yrs...jesus xrist, risk management cant possibly be his strong, innit.

7. basis

basis

by my calcs, he's up 18% per annum AFTER these drawdowns.

worth it? i dunno. but he's survived drawdowns bigger than this before, and his investors know they're coming.

nothing to see here, move along ...

8. trader99

trader99

yeah yeah. SURE. But is that a good way to trade? Who wants to ride that roller coaster? I respect the guy and he's supposedly "smart" and one of the best. Blah. Blah. He needs to learn some risk mgmt.

So, what makes him so special? he's basically just a LONG only fund manager that's highly leveraged? Would you want that?

hmm..

9. doubt; fund was up 32% from 2yrs ago...at least that's a quote of him from the vic crap thread.

10. tireg

tireg

heh i saw the article about him on Trader Monthly... supposedly he has two guys doing "risk management" for him..?

Personally I couldn't stand such inconsistent results. He's essentially gambling imo. Sure, sometimes he hits it big... but look at his risk adjusted returns.. its only a matter of time before he blows himself out again.

#10     Jun 18, 2006